Something Wrong

One of the members of my local VW club posted this to our local group board. I thought I'd see if the bigger audience here had any comments....

--------------------------------------

I was planning on making it out tonight to the get together for the first time. My car decides to take a dive on me when i was on I-95 at like 430 am

Here is the situation I was on my way to get some suspension work when the CEL came on and then the car started vibrating like crazy. I had no clue what the hell was happening and after about 20 seconds of the cel blinking the car was smoking very thick white smoke and still is now when i start it. IF anyone can help me out and tell me what is causing the engine to misfire and why this is smoking I would appreciate it very much. I looked at the coil packs and no cracks or anything out of the ordinary. also i dont see any problems with the wires

here are the codes I pulled from the vag com

11 DTCs Found: 00543 - Maximum Engine Speed Exceeded (Engine Warranty VOID! 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected 35-00 - - 16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected 35-00 - -

I will pass along any responses. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tony Bad

The white smoke is likely coolant getting into the cylinders. Most commonly this is a failed cylinder head gasket. As all four cylinders seem affected it could be a leak into the air supply system.

I'd start with compression/leak-down tests and work from there.

Charles.

Reply to
Charles DH Williams

At first glance, it sounds like a breach between the cooling system and combustion chamber. It could be catastrophic with the overspeed; could have snapped a valve and punched a hole in the head. Oops is all I have to say.

--TW Likes big, heavy slow reciprocating masses

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

I was thinking the same thing...but wanted a few other opinions before I dropped my rather ominous opinion.

Thanks guys...Tony

Reply to
Tony Bad

I like the "Engine Speed Exceeded, Warranty VOID!

That's funny!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Hmmm, first code is 00543 followed by a bunch of misfire codes. By chance did your friend miss a shift?

My guess is your friend will be finding it cheaper to get a junkyard engine rather than doing the repairs to his dead engine now.

Let us know what happenes.

Later.

Pencilneck blah blah blah WinVN is killing me.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Any idea what rpm triggers that first fault?

Reply to
John Rutledge

Probably by extended redline driving....

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman