PADS or TRANNIE ??

We just finished a road trip thru Western Colo. ( 2002 BUICK )

One of the downgrades was so long, and so steep, that, when we stopped at the bottom, there was a STRONG smell of sizzling brake-pad.

A mechanic friend says I could've ruined the pads, and warped the rotors !

Suggests I should've put the transmission in and let the trannie slow the car.

I know this was common practice with stick-shifts.... but wouldn't this practice overheat the auto transmission ?

????

Reply to
Anonymous

Shep

Your Owners Manual should explain the reasons for shifting into lower gears when going uphill & down hill.

Running in Lower gear reduces the wear on brakes, but doesn't harm the transmission as long as your doing the required speed for each gear selection.

Were there any warning signs along the road cautioning you to use ( or trucks ) lower gear??

Its always best to have the brakes checked before going on a trip into the mountains, as this is a common occurrence to have happen.

On Pikes Peak there is a half way point where they used to have a man there that would feel your front / rear wheel / tires to see if they were over heating from excessive braking. If they were to hot you were told to park it till it cools down. I'm not sure if they still do this - but they did in 1970, 1990 & 1994 when was there.

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

If you got them that hot the pads and rotors are not the worst area, it is very possible to damage the bearings with that much heat, It literally boils the grease in them and causes it to break down.

Reply to
Steve W.