Most cars in Europe have manual trannies?

If yes, why is that?

Serious question.

Reply to
me

That was the case at one time, but now a significant percentage of cars sold have automatic trannies.

Reasons? People may be a bit more affluent now, the new automatics are good to drive and get good mileage which was once the realm of the manual. The cars there tend to be light and have smaller engines than in the USA, so the autotrannies hold up rather well.

Still and well, the last couple of cars I had there had standard trannies because old habits die hard.

Reply to
hls

Because it's more reliable, easier to maintain, more comfortable to drive? My big question is why Americans are so obsessed with automatics.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Europeans buy them.

If their market valued slushboxes as USAians do, that's what manufacturers would offer. One might argue efficiency or control, but at the end of the day it's simply sales volume.

Reply to
AMuzi

More comfortable? No. Just more familiar. After driving automatics for a while, there's no turning back (I'm an example). Especially in stop-and-go traffic (like on the DC beltway, for ex), there's no contest. Driving a manual there would be torture.

Not obsessed, it's simply more comfortable. I am almost as much in control with the automatic as I was with a manual in Europe. The only possible drawback I can think of is the thinking time of some automatics what gear to go to, if you want sudden acceleration.

Reply to
Patok

Meh, I've lived in the DC area for most of the last 10+ years and I still far prefer a manual. Especially with the complete lack of engine braking on some of the newer autoboxes (I'm looking at you, GM) which is really hard on the brakes. Now if we were talking about some older car with a manual clutch linkage and racing pressure plate that could get old, but still.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It is sometimes hard to gauge why people make the choices they make. As you know I lived in Norway for a long time, and I always felt I had better control on icy highways with a manual.

Many people there didnt want power windows because they felt that, if they went off the road and into a fjord, they might not be able to get out of the car...and it is a LONG way to the bottom of some of those.

Americans tend to be a bit lazy, I think. They dont want to work a clutch, nor to learn how to take off uphill with a manual, or a plethora of other things that require a little practice and skill.

Happy New Year

Reply to
hls

I agree that there's more automatics because more people can afford them and are willing to take the hit, (if any) in gas mileage for ease of operation.

Reply to
dsi1

I've owned /driven a number of manuals. For me autos have been more reliable, easier to maintain, more comfortable. Just one auto cost me more than I like for repairs. But less than a VW manual cost me to get the synchros fixed. And every manual needed clutch work. That's easier, because I can do that myself, but maintenance was more frequent.

Shifting gets old once you realize that pretty gal could be sitting next to you with her hand on your thigh if you weren't smacking her jaw with your elbow. That happens pretty early for most.

Can't talk about "reliable." Never got stranded by either. Had to drive some miles to a shop in 1st gear with an auto when the other gears failed. My brother got stranded when his manual clutch cable seized. But both of those were 35 years ago. The bad VW synchros were on a '67. I know autos are vastly improved since then. Some major exceptions with Chryco and Ford. My brother had 2 Taurus and both trans needed overhaul. A friend had to have his Chrysler Minivan auto overhauled. I've heard that's common. Comfortable is easy. Give you passenger an open container to drink from while driving through a city. Coca-Cola, because it's sticky when spilled. See what he likes best, auto or stick. You might think you're a smooth shifter. An goo auto is always much smoother.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

actually THAT would be my question too!

I suppose I worded the original post wrong

Reply to
me

I'd argue with that... they were pretty much perfected back in the

60's and 70's and I think have gone downhill since then as they have been tuned for fuel economy (basically freewheeling off-throttle which I hate, and kills your brakes) and also aren't as robust, as mfgrs. are desperately trying to keep weight down to meet CAFE.

Personally I think the driving experience with the autobox in my old pickup truck ('93) is far superior to that in some newer cars (I'm specifically thinking of my last two company cars, an '05 and '08 Impala which both drove me nuts.)

I have seen nice features being incorporated in some cars; I drove a friend's Chrysler LHS back when he still had it, if you had the cruise control on the trans would downshift to keep the car from running away on steep hills. I really liked that; unfortunately GM doesn't do that for whatever reason.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It's not at all hard on my brakes. Maybe you're not doing it right. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Brake pads are cheap and easy to replace. Engines, transmissions and other wearing driveline components aren't.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

In message , Vic Smith writes

I take it that you've not tried the twin clutch semi's that are now becoming common in Europe? (V.W. GSD etc.)

Reply to
Clive

In message , N8N writes

I don't know about the rest of the EU, but freewheeling in the UK is illegal.

Reply to
Clive

I like manuals too, However, as I get older and beginning to get arthritis in my hip & knees a manual is becoming just too painful to drive. I recently sold my last manual trans vehicle and am all automatic now. So you young guys...enjoy it while you can.

Reply to
MM

You're implying that simply having the vehicle slow when you lift your foot off the accelerator is somehow harder on the vehicle than not having that happen. I don't believe that that is the case, in any meaningful way.

nate

Reply to
N8N

No, wasn't aware of it. Looking it up, it's complex and electro-hydraulic. Not sure that qualifies for this discussion - unless somebody singing the praises of manual transmissions here has one. Doubt that. More likely the manual lovers like the feel of their leg pushing against springs, and downshift sounds. Those are the only things I found "useful" with sticks.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

It technically is noncompliant with US law as well, but I've driven a few cars whose behavior indicates that if they aren't freewheeling it's close enough to it to make no nevermind. I'm not alone in this observation either; just last week I was talking to a coworker who'd bought a new GM car and he remarked on that behavior as well.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You're implying that simply having the vehicle slow when you lift your foot off the accelerator is somehow harder on the vehicle than not having that happen. I don't believe that that is the case, in any meaningful way.

nate

******

I had interpreted your comments as meaning your desirous of the engine braking possible with a manual transmission and/or downshifting. It is a well accepted tenet that additional load or rpm accelerates wear faster than freewheeling.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted