Prolog: 2000 Blazer Won't Start

Hey Guys:

Thought I'd post the resolution of the problems that my son had with his Blazer. Short recap - he had installed a new fuel pump, and all was well for several days. At a point, the truck would not start. It would start with starter fluid, but not on its own. We were prepared to replace the spider, upon initial analysis of the problem - remote analysis.

We finally had the chance to work on the truck and put fuel pressure gauges on it. It had visually appeared to be pushing fuel just fine, but when we put the gauges on it, the story was completely different. Initially the truck was showing about 22 lbs of pressure at the Schrader valve. Not good. Quickly, it dropped off to 0 and remained there. No doubt about the approach now - it was back to the fuel pump.

He dropped the tank again and pulled the pump and sender. Lo and behold, what to his wondering eyes should appear, but the fuel line from the pump to the connectors on the head of the unit was disconnected. This line is not a clamped line, but relies on friction to hold it on. You heat the line to soften it, and slide it on the connections. Theoretically, once it cools it conforms and creates a tight fit. Not.

So - a quick re-heat and re-fit, combined with two strategically placed fuel injector clamps, and he's back on the air.

This fix took a lot longer than it normally would, but for good reason. Seems our work was interrupted by the occasion of his daughter insisting that *now* was the time she was going to be born. A real double header for us - his truck got fixed and he got his first child - and me, my first grandchild.

It's all good in the end.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Glad both projects "came out all right", Mike.

Congrats!

Reply to
HLS

Congratulations Mike!!

Reply to
80 Knight

Hey Mike, and congrats from us all to becoming a grandfather. I'd heard about the joys, but was nothing in comparison to the actual experiences 'from here on'! sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks Sam.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

SNIP

Mike,

Congrats on the first grandchild. I have 5 (2 girls and 3 boys - oldes girl will be graduating from high school this year). It is soooooooo much fun to spoil them and then send them back to their parents and let them deal with them :)))))

Best Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Thanks Bill. You don't know how badly I'm looking forward to spoiling this little girl. I bought her a fishing pole the day we heard my daughter-in-law was pregnant. I expect she'll be out fishing with Grandpa this summer at some point. Gonna get one of those tools to carry babies on your chest so we can go Walleye fishing together. She just loves her Grandpa, I can tell...

Reply to
Mike Marlow