Question about auto body repair

I would like to restore my car that will involve body repair, minor engine repair on older car (~ 1980 model). I am looking for information about auto body welder such as wirefeed being sold at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto. What would be an ideal system to weld auto body sheet metal or floor work? Do I have to install 220 volts?

Reply to
Paul

no.. if you're going to just weld sheet metal ( or anything thinner than 1/4") you can use a 110V wirefeed welder such as a Lincoln Weldpack 100. I have one and love it. I use .035 flux cored wire in mine as I use it outside to weld 10ga-16 ga metal framing. if you're going to use it inside only, get the MIG conversion kit and run .020 wire and it'll weld down to 28 gauge.

now to actually answer your question, the ideal system would be a TIG welder, but they start at $1600 and go waaaaay up and yes you'd hafve to run 220V

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase