Re: License Plate Light... Don’t Laugh!

Hey. I know this might be a really novice question, but nonetheless I

> would like an answer! I have a ?98 Chevy Malibu and daytime running > lights come standard on all Malibus.

...as is true for all GM-built vehicles.

The headlights and taillights > automatically turn on when you turn the car on.

When functioning properly, your statement is NOT true IF it is daylight! It is true ONLY if it's dusk or night. When it's daylight, ONLY the front DRL (headlamps) come on. The tail lamps and license lamp do NOT come on during the day (unless done so manually or the car happens to be in a dark place, like a garage).

Don't feel bad though. Many GM owners are confused about how or when their lights work. A very common situation.

But as far as I can tell, the license plate light > only turns on if you manually turn the > lighting system on yourself.

That is only true in the daytime. *However*, the license plate lights WILL come on automatically with the rest of the lights if the car is in a dark enough place or it is night time. Naturally the assumption is that the bulb isn't burned out! ;-)

Is this true or is it supposed to turn on > when in driving gear?

Only at night or in a dark enough place. Otherwise, in the daytime no.

Because up until now I?ve never, ever manually > turned on my lights because I haven?t thought I needed to.

Very bad mistake! But a common one for GM owners. It's important to understand that the auto light control system (on the Malibu especially) functions intermittantly at best during conditions of daytime fog, rain or snow. It simply isn't reliable in those situations. So, you should ALWAYS use the manual switch when driving in those specific conditions in order to be sure to be in compliance with most state vehicle lighting laws. The auto light control system only works reliably during night conditions. Check your manual, it basically tells you this same thing.

Of course the marketing materials used to sell the car say something different.

Thanks for > answering.

Sure. No problem.

Reply to
James C. Reeves