How to disable DRLs and auto-headlights on 2001 Camry?

The subject says it all:

What is the procedure for disabling the Daytime Running Lights and the Auto-Headlights on a 2001 (aka "Generation 4.5") Camry, other than paying a dealer to do so?

I do NOT want to start a debate about whether these characteristics of this particular vehicle are "safety features" or "nuisances" and posts arguing one side or another will be 100% ignored by me (and I urge others to do the same so that the NG can remain ON-TOPIC).

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

i'd like to do the same on my 2006 corolla xrs. it's a bunch of damn foolishness. sammmm

Reply to
SAMMM

Buy a Scion. No DRLs.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The subject says it all: What is the procedure for disabling the Daytime Running Lights and the Auto-Headlights on a 2001 (aka "Generation 4.5") Camry, other than paying a dealer to do so? I do NOT want to start a debate about whether these characteristics of this particular vehicle are "safety features" or "nuisances" and posts arguing one side or another will be 100% ignored by me (and I urge others to do the same so that the NG can remain ON-TOPIC). Thanks.

If you did not want it, why did you buy it?

You can buy any make and model that will have neither DRL nor auto-on headlights. You chose. Stop whining.

I like having all lights on when I get in the car, I travel to Canada frequently, headlights are required. Pedestrians are a differnt story. You don't want to start a debate, don't ask a debatable question. You've got your own mindset, don't buy a Toyota.

Reply to
mmward

Well-said. If a vehicle is in an accident and it is shown that not ALL available safety devices on the vehicle were operable AND IN USE, as applicable, then both the owner and/or operator of that vehicle should be held liable. If the accident was obviously caused by the other driver, then, in that case, liability should be 50/50.

Reply to
sharx35

Re: the merits of using daytime running lights... I wish I had the details on this, but I am relying on old memories. IIRC in the 1960s one Chicago trucking company tried having its drivers always run with headlights on. Their accident rate halved.

FWIW.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I didn't buy the car; I acquired it when my mother passed away. So f*ck off, asshole.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) who stated:

And was everyone else running with their headlights on at the time?

I wonder what difference it would make if everyone else had DRLs and then the truckers started running with headlights on . . . .

Of course, we don't know. We also don't know how much difference DRLs make when EVERYONE has them. When there is a change, it gets noticed. After the change becomes status quo, it gets ignored again.

As a motorcyclist, that's what concerns me about DRLs. It used to be that I was one of only a few vehicles with my headlight on during the daylight hours. With DRLs, that isn't so anymore. So to me, DRLs are a DISADCVANTAGE. To help get my edge back, I've installed a modulated headlight, and I'm more likely to get noticed again. I wonder how long that will help.

It is truly unfortunate that more and more, folks are relying on some technology or another and less and less relying on their BRAINS to stay safe . . . .

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

I think it was "Jeff Strickland" who stated:

Not true. Period.

It used to be that lights ON meant a motorcycle coming, and it got noticed. Now, with all the DRLs, motorcycles don't stand out anymore. So it's LESS SAFE for us who ride motorcycles.

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

To be frank, I wonder how closed your mind is on this topic.

Personally, I use daytime lights when it seems to make sense. I want other drivers to be able to see when the seeing isn't good: when there is glare (eg desert roads with dust in the air); when light is in oncoming drivers' eyes (eg towards sunset); when the car I am in is shadow (eg running along below trees); when it is night (eg when it is night)... I have no idea _what_ conditions were when that trucking company tried its test; but, the way the results got reported, the company was impressed and persuaded to keep doing it. From what I have seen of your reasoning on this, I would trust the dimly recalled hearsay historical opinion of a company I never met over any "arguments" I have seen in this NG, against the use of daytime running lights. Does that go any way towards addressing your questions?

FWIW, I once owned a Volvo: no option there, unless you pulled a plug under the bonnet; but the blokes who designed that car were savvy, so I soon re-plugged.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) who stated:

Frank, I try to keep an open mind, but not so much that my brains fall out. I have DRLs on my Camry, and I leave the switch in the "ON" position. I think it seems reasonable that I'm more likely to be seen that way. I also put a sunglass lens over the headlight sensor so that it will come on sooner as it gets dark. I turn on my xB headlights when it seems like they should be on; when visibility is low and at dusk. Visibility is a good thing, both mine looking out, and others' seeing me.

It does. I don't know the answers to my questions, and I don't think anyone really does. But folks seem to be polarized on this question, so I'm putting out ideas to make 'em THINK. ALWAYS a good thing, thinking, yes?

To turn the DRLs ON or OFF?

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

But... even if every single car used DRL, every single car would be still more visible (than if all - or some - w/out lights). So... seems like fewer accidents would still be the outcome. Don't know how _many_ fewer...

Prior to having DRL ('98), I never switched my lights on in the daytime, providing the visibility was good. To me, lights on in daylight would indicate an emergency - like "Out of my way, I need to get someplace

*fast*!" sort of thing.. Now I find that the cars w/out the lights are definitely less noticeable on the road than those with them. And they - coupled w/ auto-on full lights - preclude the problem of people forgetting to switch their lights on at dusk.

Sorry, OP - there was no way this topic would remain an "answer my question only, no comments about the merits of it" deal.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You should be able to turn the sensor clockwise to make it come on earlier.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't give a flying f*ck what happens to you suicide jockeys unless it involves my vehicle. Thousands of times MORE people drive cars or walk, as compared to you freaks.

Reply to
sharx35

I think it was "Ray O" who stated:

"Should be able", being the operative words. That was actually one of my first questions to this newsgroup, after buying my Camry. The sensor didn't turn, so I found some cheep sunglasses and put one of the lenses over the sensor. It works great!

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

Are you guys talking about the actual little sensor on top of the dash, next to the windshield? Or is there a little knob somewhere else which determines the amount of light/darkness needed for the sensor to trip the lights full on? (I've always assumed that the sensor's setting was non-tinkerable.)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Hmmm... I'll have to experiment on one of ours to see what gives. I suspect that the plastic cover has to pop off first. I like the sunglasses solution - it's simple and effective.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, I'm talking about the actual sensor on top of the dash. I believe that the a sensor under the plastic cover is threaded so you can screw it down to make the lights come on earlier or up to make the lights come up later. There is no adjustment knob.

Reply to
Ray O

I think it was "Ray O" who stated:

I didn't try popping anything off. But that makes sense; I'll try it too. (The folks at the service department hadn't a clue -- despite the owner's manual telling me to ask them to do it. )

I did what I needed to do. The only drawback was that it slid off easily until I put on felt pads and double-stick tape on the lens.

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

Okay, got it; thanks.

Cathy