Re: U.S. Now Lags in Road Deaths

Perhaps that is why there were so many Dictatorships in Europe until the US and England we went to war to free their asses, twice LOL

mike

> >> Hmmmm, Deaths per million vehicle kms; USA 2.5, UK 2.0 looks pretty much >> like driving to me and looks pretty similar to me. YMMV > > Well, sorry, but you seem to be out of touch with reality... > > "Sweden and Britain each reported about 35 deaths for every billion > kilometers driven in 1970, more than the 30 in the United States. But > in 2005 both European countries reported about 6 deaths for every > billion kilometers, compared with 9 in the United States." > > But expert after expert said the real problem was one of culture. With > personal freedom being a cornerstone of the United States, many states > are loath to pass legislation that curtails them, even when it comes > to road safety. So while the governments of other countries can easily > pass laws to make driving safer, like a national ban on hand-held > cellphone use, those laws here are left up to the states to impose, > and that is often not so easy. > > New Hampshire, for example, is the only state with no seat belt law > for adults, and in May its state Senate rejected a bill that would > have mandated the use of belts.

(That is not true. Pennslyvania does not mandated the use of belts. If one is cited for a moving violation and is not wearing a seat belt, the fine UPON CONVICTION is increased by $5)

"The citizens of New Hampshire don't like to be told by anyone else > what to do," said State Senator Robert E. Clegg Jr. > > Fred Wegman, managing director of the National Institute for Road > Safety Research in the Netherlands, said attitudes were different in > Europe.
Reply to
Mike Hunter