Synthetic Oil Change Intervals ???

Advice and opinions please....

I'm currently doing oil changes (w/filter) at 3500 miles using conventional oil.

Many posts indicate using synthetic oil offers protection far superior to conventional oils.

What I would like to do is move the oil change / filter interval from

3500 to 7500 making it compatible with the 15K 30K 60K mileage service intervals.

Is using Synthetic and a good filter at 7500 a good move....or

should I stick to 3500 w/ conventional oil.

What's your experience... I've heard that Shell's Rotella is a good oil, so is Mobil 1. Still undecided on the oil filter to use.

Car is a 1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette APV with 77,000 miles. Normal use, no stop and go.

Reply to
Peter

Here I have a mix of City/Highway driving (50/50 or thereabouts). Have been using a 10,000km (6,200 mile) interval for oil & filter for many years w/o problems. Mobil 1 5w-30 & AC-Delco filters. I would think 7,500 miles is not much of a stretch. IMHO the major factor is the amount of sulphur in the gasoline. You Americans have a major advantage over us Canucks for the moment there. Much cleaner gas south of the border. Averages something like 150ppm US vs 600ppm Canadian.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

I use Amsoil here, and NO I'm not a dealer so I'm not trying to sell you anything. I use the Series 2000, oil filter change at 6 months or

12.5k miles and oil/filter change at 35k or 1 year, if I'm not mistaken. Been work>Advice and opinions please....

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial