The new GM looks abroad

Page 2 of 4
wrote in message news:51c91397-b37a-4376-98a7-

That should work for Toyota, Honda, nissan, Kia, etc most of their autos are made outside the us, Also does all the money gm makes in those countrys be left there or returned to the us. Explain how this works for all the companys that rape us in the balance of trade to the tune of 60 billion a month

I guess I am saying that we need a period of "protectionism", until we can breathe on our own. Toyotas, Hondas, Nissan, Hyundai - as far as those made here, should be treated as domestic producers. If you want to import foreign products, there should be a temporary protective tax system.
Now I know that global economists hate the concept of protectionism. But if you want jobs to stay here, you have to do something like this. Only until we get on our feet, I reiterate.

our govt started this by thinking American companies were creating a monopoly and thru tax dollars to foreign companies to come over here and produce witch they did but they imported all the cheap parts, engineering, tooling from their countries which caused our own companies to be non completive. and so the snowball continues to grow.
On 8/26/2010 9:42 AM, Tom wrote:

Well, our own companies never adapted. Be it for too high of union wages and benefits to the board room and corrupt executives makes little difference, not any of them were willing to fix it. Too busy in denial that basic labor isn't worth what they are paying. And executive compensation is stupid.
Autos are going to see price deflation one way or another. People on average are making less money and taxes will likely go up big time after November is over. So people want better, cheaper and more economical cars or they simply will not buy them.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

The average US buyer TODAY, does not buy the less expensive midget or small cars, they buy midsize cars.

Protectionism will only work in a very short timespan and then it usually becomes counterproductive.
The problem is obviously that the $ has too high a value so the jobs in the US are too expensive.
The $ will decrease in value as time goes by and then this trend will stop.
The standard of living reached a maximum in the US compared to the rest of the world and the change of going down in standard is starting.
It will be a very difficult time for some groups.
Increasing standard of living is relatively easy and getting more value for everyone is easy.
Managing decrease and less value will cause a lot of tension.
There are always groups fighting for the members of the group.
The fights will intensify.
Most groups try to get as much of public money as possible.
The gain for the groups members is always significant while the loss to the rest of the world is relatively low per person.
Then you have a difference between local groups and groups that are based far away.
The local groups create some spin offs to their neighborhoods while groups that are based far away usualy rob everything they can and leave the community flat broke.
So the best option is to be a member of a group that is doing well and the worst is to be in a community where the robbers do not give anything back.
While GM was based in the US it was good for their communities.
Now GM has hardly any interest in anything in the US anymore because there is not much left to rob.

Wages also are declining, with new hourly production workers starting at $14 an hour instead of $28.
The combined cuts reduced Detroit-based GMs average labor cost to $58 an hour from $74 two years ago.
The new $14-an-hour workers, which could account for 20 percent of the labor force eventually, will drive GM, Ford and Chryslers hourly costs below the $56 for Toyota Motor Corp.s most senior U.S. hourly workers.
The jobs banks are gone.
Workers are forced to move if they want to keep working when a factory cloases.
How many factories have been "cloasing" where you live?

Wages also are declining, with new hourly production workers starting at $14 an hour instead of $28.
The combined cuts reduced Detroit-based GMs average labor cost to $58 an hour from $74 two years ago.
The new $14-an-hour workers, which could account for 20 percent of the labor force eventually, will drive GM, Ford and Chryslers hourly costs below the $56 for Toyota Motor Corp.s most senior U.S. hourly workers.
The jobs banks are gone.
Workers are forced to move if they want to keep working when a factory cloases.
On 8/26/2010 10:36 AM, Bjorn wrote:

The real reason plants move is to clean out the riff-raff. Every company builds up dead weight, but the union does not allow it to be cleaned out so once to a toxic level, close and move.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling but GM is STILL the number one seller in the US, year to date. LOL

To say they have no interest in the US anymore is totally wrong between the manufacturing facilites, dealerships. corporate headquarters, the capital wealth of the corp. is in the US and North America. That cant be matched by anyone but Ford, The profits of the offshore companys shows up in the corporate balance sheet. Just as it does for the Jap, and Korean companys. This is GM bringing some money back to the US and helping to reduce the balance of trade. We lose 60Billion a month to foreign countrys that's worth more than the total bailout money and there is no return on this loss. Everyone here complains about the bail out of us companys and no one complains about the 90 billion that went from the AIG bailout to Germany, France, China as a gift of 100cents on the dollar, no chance of return but you can bet someone profited from the money, maybe more campaign contributions.
You are confused American corporations operating in place like Europe, pay taxes to those countries on the profits they earn in those counties. Unlike the Japanese corporations that earn profits in the US. Japanese corporations profits earned in the US are returned to Japan, US corporate tax free, to be return to Japanese corporations for R&D

Singing BS again?
On 8/26/2010 11:18 AM, Mike wrote:

--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling but GM is STILL the number one seller in the US, year to date. LOL

Not to worry, BO(ZO) and the Dims in Congress are doing all the robbing today but it is in trillions of dollars, rather than billions ;)

[...]
On 8/26/2010 11:09 AM, Mike wrote:

Yep, I agree with that. GM was one of the funnels for the cash too. Now that its usefulness is over as a cash siphon they want to dump the turkey.
Corruption is sure deep in DC.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling but GM is STILL the number one seller in the US, year to date. LOL

On 8/26/2010 9:58 AM, Bjorn wrote:

Good point. GM has nothing more to rob -- if they did China this way the execs would be executed.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling but GM is STILL the number one seller in the US, year to date. LOL

What the US government should do is what the Japanese government has been doing, ever since the end of WWII for their corporations and that is pay for all of their R&D from the taxes paid on their profits.