The new GM looks abroad

Protectionism only gives you a little head start over the tortoise. We are deficient in a lot of product areas.

We dont like to think we could become like India, where you might work all day for a few rupees. But if we totally lose our manufacturing base, we could go that way.

In the past, we thumped our chest about our world's best technology and the high quality of American parts. We are not thumping our chests much any more.

Reply to
hls

You record of prediction does not bode well for that prediction to come to pass either LOL

abroad

Mike

It seems we can conclude you have not priced any of the hybrids on the market lately.

Reply to
Mike

Get real, the US is still the worlds largest manufacture by far and has an economic base that is nearly twice that of any other country, as well as the worlds safest currency.

BO(ZO) and the Dimocrat Congress, the so called "party of the working man" are doing their best to change that, however. Last week 500,000 American workers lost their jobs. The largest job loss number for one week in our history.

Reply to
Mike

Get real we will never see any new car sold in the US for $3,000 or even $15,000. Federal regulations killed the low cost car forever, years ago.

Reply to
Mike

Really? Then why did you post what you did?

Reply to
Mike

Check the US Commerce Department site and you will find the proof that Toyota imports around 52% of the vehicles that it sells in the US, dummy.

Reply to
Mike

abroad

While wages are certainly right up there, it goes beyond pure wages. Taxes, legal, HR hand holding, law suits.... Threat of government hyper-taxation and massive out of control debt. Poor and corrupted management stock. Politicians with heads up their butts.

Yep, it has. But it now has hit the tipping point.

Yep.

Cash is king right now. Debtors, especially defunct and delinquent types, dime a dozen. 1 in 10 is in real risk of foreclosure.

Yep. Ponzi government banking and debt.

I think plans for it were earlier. When interest rates spiked to stem debt in 1982 or so, government changed the system to favor debtors and allowed bankers cheap easy money. Banks no longer needed to pay a decent fair rate for savings.

Yep, in reality, bankrupt.

The real reason banks are failing. Gave out far too much cheap and easy debt. The debt created never reflected risk nor inflation.

This will be bad for years to come.

Yep, inflation. Real inflation, not the BS the government feeds us.

GM, in the end they will die. GM does not have what it takes. GMs own suppliers in Asia are now competing with GM, and increasing winning. In time, GM China too will become defunct.

GM is a dead horse a waking.

Reply to
Canuck57

Who is going to pay ten times the price for a NA GM made piece of crap?

Hint, not many. Protectionism will not work. People are not making the wages to keep up with GMs inefficiencies. How is a $40k wage earner going to pay taxes and for a $50k GM Volt when a person in India makes $15k but spends $2,500 for a Tata Nana and lower taxes?

Bottom line, GM is grossly over priced to a point where it cannot work.

Reply to
Canuck57

I am not sure if you are joking, but I predict you are right. It is only a mater of time before we go to Walmart for the electric vehicle MSRP $10k or a Tata Nano for $3,000.

Reply to
Canuck57

Nope. I don't.

Reply to
Canuck57

As usual, you are WRONG. Japanes do not import 50% of their vehicles they sell.

Reply to
Canuck57

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

Reply to
Mike

Because Japanese companies usually make money. GM usually looses money. A Japanese company wouldn't buy GM... Why would they?

Ok, perhaps there might be some value > Really? Then why did you post what you did?

Reply to
Canuck57

In message , hls writes

If you try that, all of the USs trading partners will put duties on thing from the US then you WILL be in the deep do-do.

Reply to
Clive

That is a cop out, Tata Nano passed Euro safety which in many regards is considered superior to US safety guidelines. Has the 50 mpg right now too.

The real reason is political lobby groups getting DC to rig the regulations. Canada does this too. A GM Regal made in Oshawa in Canada isn't legal in Canada. You need to have the daytime running lights a little brighter. $200 tops of the modification, but GM charges 20-30% more for Canadian vehicles. Stupid regulations but true. US does it too to imports.

That is why Toyota, Honda, BMW and others make most of their vehicles in the US. Stupid really when they can be made cheaper and better in Japan, Korea or China.

Kia sales in Canada and US are taking off as people are realizing good car need not be priced crazy. Kia makes a lot of money off of each one too. But then they don't have to deal with US management, politics or union dysfunctionality.

Yep, government > Get real we will never see any new car sold in the US for $3,000 or even

Reply to
Canuck57

Smoot-Hawley Tariff:

Jim_Higgins

Bet you can't cite that? The reason is simple, more BC from Mike who will not put his own money down for a GM.

Toyota does NOT import 50% of its vehicles. But the above does show the winners, Kia, mostly imported too.

I still th> Check the US Commerce Department site and you will find the proof that

Reply to
Canuck57

Well, our own companies never adapted. Be it for too high of union wages and benefits to the board room and corrupt executives makes little difference, not any of them were willing to fix it. Too busy in denial that basic labor isn't worth what they are paying. And executive compensation is stupid.

Autos are going to see price deflation one way or another. People on average are making less money and taxes will likely go up big time after November is over. So people want better, cheaper and more economical cars or they simply will not buy them.

Reply to
Canuck57

Good point. GM has nothing more to rob -- if they did China this way the execs would be executed.

Reply to
Canuck57