theft lock unlock

How do I unlock my GM stereo, I've tried pressing 2 & 3 presets and nothing happens. Someone said I may have to take it to the dealer because of it being RDS but I wondered if anyone else knew anything about them

Reply to
abomb69

my vehicle is a 2000 Pontiac Montana, and the stereo came out of an 02 Grand Prix

Reply to
abomb69

Take it to a dealer and have it reprogrammed to the VIN number of the new vehicle. Make sure you bring a receipt that you bought the stereo legally or they won't touch it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
abomb69

Have her write up a receipt on a piece of paper. Something like I (her name and phone number) gave this stereo from my (her vehicle) VIN number(her vin) to (your name) for installation in his (your vehicle).

If it is a theft loc unit they can unlock it and if it is a VIN loc unit they can reprogram it for you

Reply to
Steve W.

It is a VIN lock unit, I just talked to the dealer, they want $30-75 bucks to reprogram it.

Whats the difference between a Monsoon and a plain radio?

Reply to
abomb69

I tihnk Monsoon is just another brand of radio, like Kenwood, Pioneer, Bose & Sony. Its a non-GM radio.

Monsoon was an optional radio offered in some GM cars at one time.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

The stock stereo out of our montana looks just like the one with the monsoon printed on the tape lid, the monsoon just sounds better. I didnt know if it had more power or somthing, the monson came out of an 03 grand am

Reply to
abomb69

your right about the sound difference. I think the Monsoon also used a few extra speakers as well.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

As far as I know, it is the exact same deck, but the "Monsoon" package add's more speakers and a more powerful amplifier.

Reply to
80 Knight

the monsoon did sound better A LOT better than the original stereo. yes now that I think about it the grand am has those little tweeters in the doors by the side view mirrors.

Reply to
abomb69