What's the best handling GM sedan ?

Anybody has an opinion on the best handling GM sedan ?

I'm looking for a 4 door sedan for spirited street & highway driving. I'd be willing to do some amount of suspension modification, shocks/springs etc, but not too many changes.

Are there any unknown jewels in the GM lineup ?

Jim

Reply to
James Ma

I don't own any newer GM sedans but I rent them quite often for business trips. I've driven just about every full size GM sedan made in the past few years with the exception of Caddies. And I really like the Impala, it drives very good and handles fairly nimble.

My opinion though.

Brian

shocks/springs

Reply to
NoSpam

My situation is similar to NoSpam's. I fly all over on business and rent cars. One that I kind of liked was the 04 GP GTP. It is a big car though. You might want to wait until the 4 door GTO comes out next year.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

A GTO Sedan? It figures! GM needs people that know what a GTO is supposed to be...and it ain't a sedan!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Pontiac Grand Prix, or Chevy Impala. The Impala is almost a 4 door Monte Carlo...(In my opinion with the similarity in handling)

shocks/springs

Reply to
Eightupman

I don't think that there's going to be a 4 door GTO. GM left a website with the 05 stuff "open" for a little bit and it said that the GTO was going to get the LS2, and 6.0 L badges yadda yadda yadda.

What?s new for 2005 LS2 6.0L engine replaces LS1

400 horsepower (295 kw) 395 lb.-ft. of torque (546 Nm) Available hood with twin air scoops Revised rear fascia incorporating outlets for new split dual exhaust system Polished exhaust outlet tips Larger brake rotors and calipers Red-painted calipers with GTO logo on front caliper Driver foot rest Two new colors: blue and grey Model Lineup Engine Transmissions 6.0L V-8 redline 6500rpms
Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Finally, hood scoops!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

shocks/springs

Get the new SS Impala and then go to GMpartsdirect.com and get the handling upgrade kit for it, its the heavy duty sway bars, trailing arms, and strut tower braces, then get some poly bushings from Jegs, then it'll handle slightly better then the Police issue impala's (because of the poly bushings) and be able to outrun them because of the supercharger.

Reply to
Paradox

We've got quite a few hilly/curvy roads her in NE Penna.

Our 2002 Buick Century takes 'em like it was on rails. Minimum lean, no tire squeal, a good feeling of stability.

The downside is the 3.1 V-6. It's no screamer by any means. But even that has an up-side.... ( 30mpg )

Reply to
Anonymous

Park Avenue Ultra

Standard: Grand Touring Suspension, Magnetic Steering, Stablitrack, ABS, Traction Control, 17 " Tires.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~282,025 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news:4298-40CC6B98-81 @storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net:

I wonder if the Malibu, Pontiac Grand Am GT, Grand Prix might all handle a bit better, with their firmer suspensions. I suspect the Buick's handling is worse than it could be because it's still an american luxury car, with its usual mushiness, but it's probably still a lot better than other luxury cars of its ilk. I'd like to see some skidpad numbers -- lateral G force numbers. I was at a graduation party the other night and there was a local police officer there. I complimented the dept. (a small dept.) on their recent purchase of an all Chevy Impala fleet to replace the Crown Vics they used to have. I asked if the Impalas had the 3800 or the 3400. (I suspect 3800). His reply was to the effect of "I don't care what it has under the hood, as long as it starts up." I felt like telling him that "any man who could drive around 8 hours in a car without knowing what's under the hood is NO MAN at all!" Thought better of it. He might plant some weed on me. My dad used to be a fleet mechanic for a county in CA. He used to come home a lot with a lot of tales of how police officers had destroyed the engines/trannies in their patrol cars. Sure, police work is naturally hard on a car, but some of the shit these cops have done to their cars would blow your socks off, as a taxpayer. One cop was stuck in 3 feet of mud. Instead of waiting for a towtruck; he redlined the car trying to get it out; burnt the tranny and engine up. I used to think all cops were car guys, maybe int he past.

Reply to
Justin

All the police issue impala's are 3800's with an improved handling kit, and all cops are morons.

Reply to
Paradox

They will regret it when all the transmissions start blowing up. Dumb pick for a cop car, if you ask me. Should stick to a good rear wheel drive sedan. Our police force uses the Impala's too, they are always in our shop with blown transmissions. Poor bastards. An RCMP car (Impala) recently went to give chase to some maggot out by Canmore and promptly blew the trans. He was not a happy camper when it got towed into our shop.

Ian

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Impalas might be bad for dept's that have a lot of high speed chases, but small town or in city patrol should be well within the Impala's capabilities. If not, GM needs to beef up these trannies.

Reply to
Justin

I consult to to fleet service comply that services thousands of police cars in several eastern states. Many State and local Departments particularly small departments in the snow belt thought when the Chevy and Dodge FWD police cars became available a few years ago, that they could do better with FWD in winter, buy them for $2,000 less than the Ford Interceptor and get better fuel mileage in the bargain. We service ALL types of cars and our Managers and Accounts warned the purchasing agents that the insurance, maintenance and repair costs are far greater for FWD vehicles than RWD vehicles. We warned them those operating costs will quickly eat up any initial savings or fuel savings. Especially on vehicles kept in service over 150K, as many small departments are prone to do. Many have learned their lesson and are now going back to the CV. When it comes to running super high mileage's, nothing come close to the CV in cost effectiveness

The new RWD Dodge uses the new Chrysler 300 chassis, but not the body. Next year when Dodge starts using the Chrysler

300 body, not just the chassis, Dodge will again offer a certified police unit and FINALLY in RWD.

mike hunt

Reply to
MajorDomo

Can't outrun a radio though.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

The 3.8 in the Regal/Impala can get that also...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Considering everything stock, and currently in production I'd go with a Grand Prix GTP.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Gotta be the new '04 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Competition G edition.

That car was designed to handle extremely well, be quick with the 260HP V6 and practical. Rear doors open near 90 degrees, front seat folds flat, back seats fold down.

Of course the Cadillac CTS V would kick it's but, but it would cost a lot more. The regular CTS is no slouch either in the handling department, though the GTP has more HP and is roomier.

shocks/springs

Reply to
Darren Toews

Thats why I always wanted to make a high powered jammer that would kill every channel in the police band for a 50 mile radius...

Reply to
Paradox