What's the best way to get heat?

Hi all. Well, it is most definitely that time of year again..... cold time! It's below zero out there so I know winter is here. I was just wondering, for those who don't have factory installed block heaters, what options are available, what are the pros and cons of them? Looking for both general information and perhaps specific to a late model Z28.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

JC Whitney has block-heater kits. Do a search for the company website.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Well there are a few. Factory style block heaters. Drain the engines coolant, pop out a freeze plug, install heater. Plug in and test. Pros: heats water in block. Cons: not real easy to install on some (freeze plugs can be a pain to get to). A bit more difficult to R&R if it fails. Usually low wattage so they must be plugged in longer to heat engine.

Radiator hose heaters. Drain coolant, cut radiator hose, Install. Pros: Usually easy to install. Cons: Heat output about the same as block heater. Cut hose gives you two more areas that may leak. Has to depend on the hose to retain the heat and heat the bulk of the water.

Tank style heater. Pinch off heater hose in two spots, cut hose, install heater, Install flush and fill kit in section of new hose between heater and old line. Mount heater in position so it is vertical. Pros: High output heater works faster. Easy to install. Thermo action pumps heated water through block, heater core. Cons: more expensive usually, Have to have room to be mounted vertically.

I usually go with the tank style. Easy to install and work really well. Plus the way it moves the water around means that usually the cab is warmer and the glass is clear after about 1 hour. Much faster than on a block heater.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Reply to
SgtSilicon

another version I've used in the past is a magnetic mount heater, which can be mounted on the block or oil pan. As with others types, low heat so needs to be on overnight to really do much.

Biggest caution with any of these: BE SURE TO UNPLUG IT BEFORE DRIVING OFF!!! LOL (but not really - you can end up dragging your extension cord and maybe even parts of yer garage door if'n you don't unplug in the am!

Dave

Mir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
Ghabi wa Madbul wa Nitten

If you have a parking spot where you head in and back out, then permanently mount an AC receptacle box directly in front of the car's bumper. Have the AC cord from the heater extended out through the grill of the car and then plugged into the receptacle. Then, you can simply back out, and the power plug will be pulled directly out of the receptacle.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Yes no doubt. One must unfasten the mooring lines before heading out to sea.

I kind of like the idea of the magnetic mount one because it is the easiest to use and requires no modification to the car. The over night part isn't a problem as I would be able to have it going all night. The real question is does it get enough heat into the engine (without putting too much heat in of course)?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Reply to
SgtSilicon