What's the best way to fix my roof?

Hi everyone. I have an 85 mustang hatchback with some rust issues. At the back of the roof, just before the hatch, there is a rather complicated curve. It's where the roof matches the line of the hatch. It looks like a previous owner did a bad bondo job. The bondo is craking in a line from left to right so it follows the edge of the roof before ir curves under to where the hinges are. There's also a couple small holes.

What would be the best way to fix this? I was going to sand blast the area down to the metal, cut out a section, and weld in a new one. I've never done this before, but I think I can do it. Everyone does this a first time, right? I figure I'd replace a section maybe 6" before the back of the roof, then follow the roof around and under into the hinge area, maybe cut left to right around in there, then cut front to back in two places to make a piece maybe 18 inces wide. This should make a shape that's not to hard to get a mig welder into.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Where's the best place to get the doner metal? I'm not sure how I would cut the metal out in a junk yard. I don't have a plasma torch and it would be impossible to cut with any type of shears. Cutoff wheel? I think most places would want to sell me the whole roof if I mail order the part which I'm not ready to tackle I know. Any suggestions?

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Unless you are real handy with metal working, I'd skip any thoughts of just using "fresh" metal ... a donor vehicle is definitely the way to go.

Find one in a junk yard, and they will cut it for you. Or, if not you could use a cordless Sawzall with a metal blade, or worst case go to a rental place and rent a Target saw (gas circ saw ).... That's what most of the junkyards use anyway.

Like I said though, I'm sure the easiest thing is to let the yard chop it for you. You may want to supervise to make sure they cut where you want them to though!

good luck!

Reply to
Chief Wiggum