When to replace timing belt on V70

Hi, we are the proud new owners of a 2000 Volvo v70. It's done 120 000ks and as far as I can see from the service manuals hasn't had the timing belt replaced. The dealer we bought it from said you don't need to replace timing belts on volvos till 200 000ks but I thought it was standard to replace them on all cars every 100 000 ks. Is that right? Should we just get it done anyway? Thanks

Reply to
Linda

boy have I got a bridge to sell you if you believe the saleman ?

Reply to
John Robertson

Linda,

Replacing the timing belt would be one of the first things I would do if I didn't know if it had been replaced. Letting the timing belt go on a interference engine without replacing it at or before the proper time is just asking for trouble you don't want to have. A broken timing belt will leave you stranded with no car and even worse no engine as a broken timing belt will leave you with bend valves.

B. Frankl> Hi, we are the proud new owners of a 2000 Volvo v70.

Reply to
berns

Cambelt change latest at 150000 KM on V70 Petrol engines. Cheers Per

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

If in doubt, have the belt changed. A broken belt will usually destroy the engine and that can be expensive enough to write off the car once it's a bit older.

Reply to
James Sweet