White substance in radiator coolant

I had a leak in a radiator hose over night and ended up with a puddle in the driveway. After the liquid evaporated it left a heavy white stain. It also left white stains everywhere it had dripped on the hoses, etc. The coolant itself is the normal greenish color and nothing else has been added.

I've never seen this before and the local radiator shop didn't know either. Any ideas what the white material might be?

The coolant temp is fine unless I sit idling for 2-3 minutes in gear - then is would climb to full scale if I don't rev the engine.

Have changed thermostat, temp sensors and fan clutch within the last few months.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Guv Bob

[...]

This is an uneducated guess. White stains left by water can indicate a high mineral content in the water. Are you using well water to add to the coolant?

Reply to
4546

This is totally normal. Whenever I am in city stop-and-go traffic I notice everybody with a GM madly revving their engines over and over again.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

in the driveway. After the liquid evaporated it left a heavy white stain. It also left white stains everywhere it had dripped on the hoses, etc. The coolant itself is the normal greenish color and nothing else has been added.

either. Any ideas what the white material might be?

- then is would climb to full scale if I don't rev the engine.

Sorry, just now saw your posting. Just using city tap water but not high in minerals. I think it means trouble in my case. I let it run with the cap off until the coolant started circulating and it changed from normal greenish color to chocolate milk. I'll drain the radiator, fill and flush with water (only), drain and refill with new coolant and see what happens.

Reply to
Guv Bob

What vehicle? What engine?

Reply to