Why is it E85 instead of E100?

Why is E85, the mostly ethanol fuel, still 15% gasoline? Why not 100% ethanol? Does the engine need 15% gas to help lubricate internal parts? Would E100 not work well under extreme conditions?

It occurred to me that maybe it's 15% gasoline just to keep us from drinking it. Could that be the whole reason?

Anybody know? I checked this:

but didn't find a definitive answer. This was on point:

***
Reply to
DH

I wondered if heat was a problem. I heard burring E85 makes more heat.

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Cold weather volatility is a problem otherwise.

See

GRL

Maybe its to keep people for drinking it.

Its just a joke.

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Ethanol contains less stored energy than gasoline. And though it does have lower levels of some pollutants, you have to burn MORE of it to go the same distances so the savings are not all that much. Also, it takes more energy to harvest the crop and distill the alcohol than you get from burning it in your car.

Ethanol is only really about the agriculture lobby getting money from the government (in terms of subsidies) and the government forcing people to purchase their product to throw more money that way.

It's pork barrel politics, not science driving this train.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I can't argue that there is some pork involved. Just like Amtrak is pork and the hemp farms were pork. Washington is porking us to death.

Ethanol can be a decent fuel, in engines designed to use it. But, as Sgt. says, the economics are less exciting than the petroleum economics we know and love. (And, yes, the oil industry porks us too.)

Ethanol is not an answer, maybe, but it could be an interim crutch.

Reply to
<HLS