1989 Civic Dual Carb - advice please

Hi, I have had a dual carb auto civic 1989 for a while now and I would like advice on what modifications I can make for as little monetary outlay as possible. (The car only cost $300) Wondering if people can point me towards resources on the net for converting the transmission to manual or modifying the air filter and engine. At the moment the whole car is stock. Some URLs that point to how-tos would be great as I am a total beginner.

Regards

Matt

Reply to
Matt Mills

Matt, Try to buy a copy of the book mentioned below on ebay or do a google search for the URL of the largest bookstore in your city.

Title: "Honda and Acura Performance Handbook" author: Mike Anas My copy was published by Motorbooks International

catalog: 1-800-826-6600 My copy was published in 1999 If it is "out of print"--ebay would be your best source. also try: importautosalvage.com (for parts) You can buy used parts at most car junk yards--many of the them are on a database which means they can buy parts for you from other junk yards.

Reply to
Jason

if you can convert it to multi point fuel injection that would be your best bet.

-jeff

Reply to
hondaman

jeff, great post. This message is for the OP (orginal poster): I recall a letter to the editor of "Honda Tuning" magazine related to this issue. Someone wanted to know how much it would cost to remove the auto. transmission and replace it with a standard transmission. The figure was over $1000.O0. The editor told him that in some cases, it would be cheaper to sell his Honda and buy another Honda that had a standard transmission. If you decide to do it--make sure the Honda you buy has multi point fuel injection and of course-- a standard transmission. Imagine how much work and time and frustration you could save. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Thanks for the advice guys, seems it may be a better Idea to save my money and replace the car with one with more potential (seeing as the value of the current car is so low)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Mills

Matt, Glad to have helped. I think that would be a wise decision. In the mean time, do research on what kind of Honda you would like to buy once you have the money needed to buy a newer car. Also, subscribe to "Honda Tuning" magazine or pick up a copy of it at the bookstore or magazine store. I should note that DOHC--VTEC engines (eg B18) are the best--in my opinion. Jason Jason

Reply to
Jason