1990 Honda Accord Overheating

"Ivan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

There's probably nothing wrong with using an aftermarket radiator,but the TS,I'd go with an OEM part from the dealership.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Jim Yanik" wrote

Ivan, for a bit more reinforcement on the radiator, you can google this group's archives. My recollection is that this is one component for which people routinely and successfully go aftermarket.

For sure, use only an OEM thermostat. Also available online at

and
, though it's cheap enough that with shipping, the dealer should be competitive with the online sites.

Reply to
Elle

Thanks for all input for this problem. Now the problem is fixed by replacing the rad. What I learnt here is tape water can never be used for a rad. My rad is only three years new. The mineral dirt builds up really quick.

Reply to
Ivan

Well, your real problem was that the water was three years old :)

Seriously, using tap water and wrong antifreeze is referred to as Honda-cide on this group.

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
flutie1

Are your fans coming on properly? Did you replace your thermostat with an original Honda thermostat? No abnormal color smoke out of your exhaust?

Reply to
Remco

The system HAS to pressurize, or it will boil off. Rad cap is what manages that part. Leaks in hoses, block, rad can't be allowed or system won't pressurize and won't replenish itself from the reservoir when it cools. Reservoir has to be full to MAX and you have to check it (at least) every morning when you're having cooling troubles. Fans won't cut in if there's air in the system because the sensors are FULL IMMERSION type. Tap water is called HONDACIDE. Honda premix is totally idiot proof. That's all I know. (I didn't read all the previous posts).

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'