1998 Honda Civic 4 door Lx Manual (canadian model)

Does anyone have this problem with their Civic, or other vehicle: when my Civic has been sitting for a while, and I turn it over it revs quite high for a few minutes before settling down, and the problem is more pronounced in the cold weather. I'm no mechanic, but I imagine as this is something to do with the computer, as it doesn't seem to have a fuel delivery problem? Furthermore, despite having put in a new battery with more cranking amps than my original it still takes more turns than normal to get the motor going on a cold morning? If anyone has any opinions on these things please let me know, thanks so much!

Reply to
Ez

"Ez" wrote

vehicle: when my

revs quite high

How high?

The computer is set to warm up the car by revving the car at an RPM that is significantly higher than that after the car is warmed up and, say, sitting at a stoplight.

more pronounced

Reply to
Elle

my 98 civic revs at 1400-1600 rpm when cold in winter. it settles down to

650 or so once warmed up

Ez wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

Everything is fine with your car. RPM will be high for first couple of minuted during warm up and will be longer in winter. Battery with higher amp doesn't reduce cranking time. Invest your time in something else rather worrying about these!

Reply to
morshedbashir

You manual says to start it and drive it . . . Take time to adjust the mirror and you're ready to go. You won't notice the high RPM because you'll be half-way to work. If it's really cold, use a block heater or hold the pedal part-way to the floor like the book says. Switch to synthetic oil will make it fire up quicker too.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I guess the only condition my car really has is paranoia!!

Reply to
Ez