2006 Civic Si pricing scheme

Our local dealer does not have any. Expects to receive one in late Jan, but it is already sold. I have seen a couple for sale on Ebay for well over MSRP. In one case the price is around 28k.

Reply to
TWW

Nice little car and I like it better than the 2006 Acura RSX Type S. I'm ready to buy the Si but local dealer wanted $5,000 above invoice at first and he came down to $2,000 above invoice after going back and forth for an hour. No thank! With a few clicks on the computer keyboard, an internet manager quoted me below invoice - much better deal. Why would anyone pay $3,000 or more over invoice if he could get it under with just a little shopping around? What's the best price you've seen on the 2006 Si so far?

Reply to
impaid

I don't understand why anyone would want to pay so much for such an ugly car...

Reply to
James

Yeah, it's surprising to see so many Crapsler 300's out there. :-)

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I am glad someone finally said it... Yeah, it's surprising to see so many Crapsler 300's out there. :-)

It is a car that wants to be an El Camino or maybe a Dodge Ram when it grows up. Or maybe it is was modeled after a really ugly woman with a mustache.

Reply to
higgledy

I would love to know where you got quoted for around the invoice price. I haggled a local dealer down to $23,500 - $1200 trade in (95 civic ex) but I balked at that. I was willing to pay $21K-$1000 for a sticker MSRP of $20,500

Reply to
volwrath

I would love to know where you got quoted for around the invoice price. I haggled a local dealer down to $23,500 - $1200 trade in (95 civic ex) but I balked at that. I was willing to pay $21K-$1000 for a sticker MSRP of $20,500. Think I will go out and buy a RSX Type S

Reply to
volwrath

I think you'll just have to be patient and wait for about six months or so. By that time... there should be plenty around... and those shiester dealers won't be able to command that markup any more.

Professor

Professor

unfortunitely it's supply and demand, lots of people want the SI and there are few of them around, not trying (by any means) to defend a dealer, but if you have 1 HOT car on the lot that everyone wants, why are you going to sell it for less than sticker, they are going ot try and get as much as possible for it. I'm sure the 5,000 above MSRP you were quoted was the dealer seeing dollar signs, and him "comming down" to 2,000 over MSRP is him "giving you a deal" (the old, hey, I like your face, tell you what I'll do, I'll come down

3,000 form my price, but thats the best I can do) and if you walk out, he'll sell it to someone else. espically if he's getting multiple calls on this car, and they have 1 with another not comming in for a while.
Reply to
Nick Vital

Why are they shyster dealers if they're just charging what the market will bear?

Just because YOU can't or won't afford it, doesn't make the seller a shyster.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Sorry for topposting... but I think it is a given that car dealers are shysters period, so what is your problem with the comment?

The fact of the matter is that when a car dealer attempts to sell me a car for 5k over > >

Reply to
volwrath

Agreed..........

just because we exist in a free market society does not mean that whatever you charge is fair and reasonable just because the market will bear it or someone is willing to pay.

I generally have a "low" opinion of car dealers / car salespeople anyway.

We always have the ability to walk away from the deal but that in no way justifies the actions of the seller.

Car sales people in general are "slime-balls" I've never trusted any of them!

Sure the dealers set their own prices..... I for one would never do business with a dealer who tried to charge such a mark-up.

I can't think of anything offhand that so much BS is involved in when you go to buy it, as it is with buying a vehicle.

The question is..... not if you were screwed at the dealer but how bad was it!

Reply to
Elbert

They're not shysters, period....some salesmen are, but many are not.

The fact that it's up to YOU to determine whether he's a shyster or not is what bugs you, I think. You want not to have to work at it. You want it handed to you in a "fair" manner ("fair" being what YOU think is fair).

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If he can get $6K over invoice for every car for the next month or two, then yes--giving it to you for $5K over invoice is a deal.

And what's with your focus in invoice price? You have this number in your head as a holy grail, as if it means something. Guess what? It doesn't. It's a fake number that has nothing to do with what the dealer paid for the car. Anymore, it's a number designed to satisfy people like you in some fashion, people who think they have to know what the dealer paid for the car and go from there--people who think that somehow that's the only "fair" way to do things.

So now, the actual dealer price is hidden so well you'll never know it or see it. The "invoice" price is what the magician shows you in one hand while he's busy hiding things with the other hand.

Meanwhile, you walk into a department store and happily buy a shirt without knowing what the store paid for it. So who's ripping you off now?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Pray tell, why not?

Sure, it's not reasonable to YOU because YOU don't want to pay that. But if they have 12 cars to sell and 15 people wanting those cars at $5K over invoice, what's your beef?

Just because YOU don't think it's reasonable doesn't mean others don't think it's reasonable. If they're willing to pay, and they have the money, that's all that matters.

What bothers you is that you're excluded from those deals simply because you can't pay the going rate.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In the case of simple pricing, it sure does.

Caveat emptor. If the salesman is doing something shady, then you walk away--no harm, no foul.

You all seem to think that he shouldn't be doing everything he can to maximize his income. If he can convince you that the car is worth more money--and that's his job--then he's doing his job. It's up to you, the consumer, to be aware of his job and not to think of him as your buddy or pal. His job is to extract as much money from you as he can.

Your job is to spend as little money as you can.

You all just don't like it that you're in a position where you have to work, to negotiate. You want it all cut and dried, like buying a shirt at the store. Hey, it has a price tag on it, take it or leave it. Wal-Mart doesn't negotiate. You're happy with that.

So why not go buy a Saturn?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

buddy

You don't know crap!

Reply to
Elbert

"we-All" don't agree with your analysis.

a person who tries to take advantage of the consumer buy purely just tacking one extreme profit is a decent good business person?

You ever hear of ethics? You ever hear of reasonable profit?

The issue is that the average consumer only knows the value of the car by the sticker price..... the dealer takes this and then tacks on $5K or whatever.

Reply to
Elbert

I know that you're one of those who (a) wants one now, but (b) doesn't want to pay the price (or can't). Therefore, dealers who charge AND GET more than what you WANT (or CAN) pay are, by your definition, scum.

Maybe if you got a better job. Or maybe if you got a job, period.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

a "slime-ball" is a slime-ball no matter what spin you put on the situation.

How about the repair person who came out to your house and marked up the repair bill by $400... just because he could. Maybe he too, is a good business person, using your logic.

Reply to
Elbert