2006 Honda Civic front brake rotor(s)

Cheers, Planning on replacing the front rotors on my 2006 Honda Civic EX. There are two phillips head screws holding the rotor to the hub. I tried turning them counterclockwise...NG Does anyone know if these screws are reverse thread???

Thanks Jack

Reply to
jack dempsey

no, they're normal lefty loosey. recommend you use the correct size bit, [#3 pt, not #2] and an impact driver.

you can also drill them out and forget about them. they have no structural purpose - they simply hold the disk in place until the brake caliper can be fitted in factory. the wheel lug nuts do the actual fastening work.

Reply to
jim beam

If these are rusted/hard to turn, there is a tool you can buy, to help remove them. It's a special screwdriver, all metal, designed to be hit with a hammer. When you hit it with a hammer, it both presses in and turns it.

I bought one, used it, it works. Although it turns out, my screws weren't rusted and not that hard to remove.

Called Impact Driver, as Jim said. and Yes, use a very big screwdriver, #3

Reply to
Bill

those things are crap. you may as well use a screwdriver and a hammer - they work just the same.

in reality, you should avoid hammering the hub because of potential bearing damage. you should therefore use the type of rotary impact driver discussed here:

Reply to
jim beam

I have replaced the rear rotor on the same vehicle, same problem with the screws. Bought an impact driver from Autozone for $10.00.

Al.

Reply to
Al Moodie

sure. a screwdriver and hammer will work fine for you too.

correct, but it successfully breaks the "stiction" that is stopping the screw from turning.

do how much torque do you think one of these tools applies? have you ever taken one apart? have you seen how the hammer rests on the anvil where there's no possibility of any torque being generated from a blow?

absolutely, which is precisely /why/ i'm saying to use the proper tool, not one of these mickey mouse pieces of crap.

there is no torque. see above.

Reply to
jim beam

Worked just fine for me.

A screwdriver and a hammer will not apply torque to the screw as the tool is struck, which this tool does. Also if there is the potential to damage the wheel bearing, surely the hammer and screwdriver would be just as likely to inflict such damage, probably more so as there is no torque component with the hammer/screwdriver.

Al.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Al Moodie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Agree. The driver's combination of impact combined with torque is unbeatably effective.

I think a lot of people don't know how to use an impact-driver properly, ans thus miss its benefits.

Reply to
Tegger