Disk brake rotor chronically warps (1992 Honda Civic Si)

We have a '92 Honda Civic Si with over 160,000 miles, and it is experiencing a chronic brake problem.

Specifically, the passenger-side rear disk brake rotor continues to warp even after it is turned. The driver-side rear disk has never given us any problems. We noticed this problem after about 60K (if memory serves me correctly), and turning and re-turning the rear rotors then did not solve it -- the passenger-side rear rotor kept warping. We eventually replaced the rear rotors with new ones, and the problem reoccured shortly thereafter. It's annoying, and one which the auto repair shops just didn't catch even though I pointed out the problem history (they just took the "replace the rotos and pads and all will be well" position.)

This tells me there is some problem (hub?, calipers?), but I have no idea what it might be. Any ideas of what to check, and how? We'll probably replace the rotors and pads ourselves, so I'd like to know what to check for and how.

Thanks.

Jon Noring

Reply to
Jon Noring

Yes, it could be a worn hub, seized calipers, seized brake piston, or maybe a damaged rim. A good mechanic should be able to find the problem with a thorough inspection.

Are you taking it to the same mechanic each time? That's could be the cause of a recurring problem.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

sticky caliper

Reply to
SoCalMike

Overt torquing your wheels will cause this. Make your mechanic hand torque to manufacturers specifications. No impact wrench!

Reply to
Kent Shaw

Have you checked the percentage of braking put to the rear wheels....maybe there is too much braking power being sent to the rear wheels.

Reply to
<zeno1234

If it were my car I'd replace the rear calipers with quality replacement parts and also the rotors. This means no thirld world country rotors! Also replace the rear wheel bearings as at 160,000 miles you probably need them anyway.

And it would also be a good thing to know if you keep your tires balanced and aligned but odds are it's a stuck caliper.

Reply to
Childfree Scott