'90 Accord speedo question

Situation: @ 97K my dad reported the death of the speedometer. From the few additional miles it was driven, he also believed the odometer was dead too. I have found that the odometer is working, now (perhaps all along).

Having had another recent speedo/odo death, in an Acura, at 66K (what?), I suspect the sensor, rather than the motor, as was the case with the Acura. The problem here is that in my world of '60s cars, you replace the cable and you're good to go. Can someone confirm that the sensor is the likely cause, or correct me, if it's not?

Thank you

PS Do Honda products commonly have weak speedometers, or is this a case of rotten luck? While these cars are older (Acura is a '98), both are garaged, low mileage and in exceptional condition. Well, except for the speedometers.

Reply to
uncle K