Low mileage Maxima question

I was looking at a beautiful black on black '97 GLE and noticed it had

35,000 miles. I ran a VIN check and it came up with the following results below...just wondering what kind of wear I should look for on the car to see if the odometer reading is accurate. Is there a way I would I could check on the mileage through the DMV or other sources?

Also, what were the factory tires put on a 97 GLE?

[to reply by email remove XXX]

09/30/97 EDMOND, OK 45 MOTOR VEHICLE DEPT. REGISTRATION

10/05/98 EDMOND, OK MOTOR VEHICLE DEPT. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

09/13/99 EDMOND, OK MOTOR VEHICLE DEPT. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

09/11/00 EDMOND, OK MOTOR VEHICLE DEPT. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

11/01/02 EDMOND, OK 21,055 MOTOR VEHICLE DEPT. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Reply to
uziel

Check the oil change receipts and any other work for dates and mileages looking for discrepancies.

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
FatherGuido

In the last couple of years, a number of states have begun capturing the mileage of the car at various events. With only one mileage figure in the official state records, you don't really have much to say that it is correct. Find out if the owner had the car serviced at a particular dealer, and trace the mileage through if possible. Regardless of the source of the mileage, you want to see a coherent string of mileage figures that gradually increase to the present reading on the odometer. Some sources obviously have more credibility than others. You can bet that the dealer's record shows the indicated odometer mileage at any given time, even if the indication is inaccurate.

The 21,000 figure would not be accurate if the speedometer was replaced some time prior to that reading... Sometimes there is a sticker placed on the car by law that indicates the speedo was replaced. It would be simple to remove it and allow a lower reading to show up in the record without explanation.

As to tires, at the present indicated mileage you should either have very bald ones, or pretty new ones if they were replaced. The factory set should have lasted about 30K without abuse.

It is very difficult to detect mileage from inspecting the car, however, which is why it is so lucrative to roll the mileage back. From what I've read, 1 in 3 or 4 used cars has been tampered with.

I knew a guy that had a 4 year old Nissan pickup that would routinely drive 600 mile weekend roundtrips to see his family. He'd disconnect the speedo cable and when he sold it, bragged that it had 30,000 miles not showing. The Maxima's speedo has been electronic for the last decade or more.

Does anyone on this group know if it is possible to disconnect the speedo without screwing up other mechanisms? (I'm not encouraging anyone to post actual directions.)

JM

Reply to
JM

In some states, and in some gloveboxes, you might find MV inspection printouts, which also have mileage and date info on them. The general level of wear-n-tear can belie the mileage reading. Check interior components like carpets, mats, seats, etc. 35K seems very light for a 97. I believe the industry average is around 12K+ a year. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

EVENT/RENEWAL

Reply to
BeeP

I traded a 89 Maxima se with 35K this year on a new Kia Sorento I have a

98 Maxima se I bought new it has 9700 miles and I always change my own oil and filters some pe> I was looking at a beautiful black on black '97 GLE and noticed it had
Reply to
ronm

Reply to
B.McNeill
1990 Maxima SE, White Pearl, Automatic Original owner, just 100K miles, locking ski-rack, all factory scheduled service done at dealer (have records), AM/FM-CD, excellent condition. Paint like new as is the interior. Runs great, uses no oil, almost blows a zero on emissions. $3900

I'm buying a new one and don't and to trade it in.

-- Marc

"It is suicidal to create a society dependent on science and technology in which hardly anybody knows anything about science and technology." Carl Sagan

Reply to
Marc C. Sabb

Two things.

You don't say where you or the car are.

According to Edmunds website, even if this car is absolutely-new-car-showroom-perfect, its private party resale value is $2691 based on the options and mileage you listed. You are significantly overpricing it.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Reply to
mcgoo