91 civic timing belt broke

Timing belt snapped on the Civic with I think the 1300 motor. I was just backing out of my driveway and it quit. Mechanic wants 700 bux just to install the belt. tensioner.waterpump. Says interference motor so probaly bent some valves and if so to pull the head if it doesn't run with new belt thats another 700. I only paid a thousand for it. Seems crazy to spend 1400 more. I do like the car and it has pretty low miles. What would you folks do? I can get 350 for it at salvage thanks

Reply to
daniel peterman

pull the rocker cover and check the valve lash. if any are dramatically loose, you've bent a valve.

you can buy a whole new motor for US$300, used japanese import.

Reply to
jim beam

Thanks Jim I never thought of just checking for bent valves that way. I'm gonna try that today.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Just out of curiosity... What is the approximate weight of these motors?

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Joe LaVigne wrote in news:erpv6n$nrg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

300 pounds.
Reply to
Tegger

Thanks. That's not so much. Good to know if I ever find my CRX... ;-)

Reply to
Joe LaVigne