92 Accord rear wheel grinding

Hello folks, Just today my '92 accord LX AT started making a light metalic grinding sound from the driver's side rear wheel area (I think, I was in the car while I ws hearing it of course). From the noise, I could have sworn the exhause system was bouncing on the ground lightly. It sounded as if something was touching and grounding then bouncing up and then coming back down again. I looked underneath, but nothing even close. Nothing loose visualy. Springs were good allround (not broken). Just from common sense I'm guessing breaks (drums not disks) or wheel bearings, but other than that I have no idea. How do I tell? No check engine light BTW. Are these thing that I can do?

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
mualphapiper

PS the noise goes away when I get above 15-20 mph

Reply to
mualphapiper

If it is from the wheel area, I suspect a worn wheel bearing.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Jack up the rear end of the car and put it on stands (or at least jack up that corner of the car). Release the parking brake and spin the wheel. Do you hear the noise? Next, grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock it back and forth. Do you feel any looseness? If you do, then you'll need to confirm that the looseness is not associated with any suspension components. If the suspension isn't moving, then the looseness is likely in the wheel bearing. Note that you may need to try grabbing the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions in addition to the top and bottom.

Eric

Reply to
Eric