Grinding Noise from the Back after Side Collision

There is grinding noise from the back when my 1999 Camry is moving. I'm not sure how to explain the noise. It's something like "eeuunnnn...eeuunnn....eeuunnnn....." It happens whether or not I hit the accelerator pedal or the break. I also can feel it (noise is from small vibration) through my feet (especially the left one that's not used). I can hear/feel it very well when I drive up or down slopes and at the speed lower than 50 mph. It's not continuous but it appears to happen almost all the time.

The following are some background of my situation.

My car was hit by a SUV on the left side. The SUV went in the opposite direction. It hit one car and then jumped over an extruded curb in the middle of the street and hit my car mainly at the rear left passenger door, the side panel between the door and fuel tank lid, and the rear left wheel. I just got off a green light so my speed was about +/-

10-20 mph. The SUV's speed might be 10 mph(guessing). The airbag in my car didn't activate. I had the car repaired at the collision center recommended by the insurance (the SUV's). They replaced the rear left door, rear side panel (the one with a fuel tank lid), and rear left wheel cover.

I mentioned to the shop about the noise before my car was repaired. There was no noise before the collision. Also, just less than 2 weeks prior to the collision, I had a 75,000-mi service at Toyota dealer and they didn't notice anything. The shop (collision center) said they checked and spin the wheel but found nothing wrong and it's safe to drive. I believed them and took my car back. There was still the noise. Then, I took it back and had the shop to test drive. They agreed that there was noise from the back. Then, they took my car to the Toyota center for more inspection. (If the noise is caused by wearing parts like breaks or tires, I have to pay for the charge by Toyota.) The technician at Toyota said the wheel bearings caused the noise (both sides). The shop had Toyota to change only the left wheel bearing (collision side) and returned the car to me. Now, the car is still making the same noise (and vibration) but a bit less. (The shop tried to charge me for the repair because they said it is a wearing part. I refused to pay because they didn't ask for my authorization to repair and Toyota backed me up that they inspected the car prior to the accident and there was no noise in the driving test.) I'm going to call the shop/insurance and discuss the problem again.

So, I'm not sure what would cause the noise. Are wheel bearings usually worn out? Are they normal worn out parts like break or tires? The mileage on my car is about 80,000. Also, I'm not sure if the wheel bearings are really the cause of the problem. What would be wrong with my car (having that noise)? Is it really from the accident, in your opinion? I'm confident that it is but not 100% sure because I just bought the car 2 years ago. I don't have a lot of knowledge about cars but my guess is that there must be something wrong (i.e. alignment) and that caused the wheel bearings (both sides) to go bad. I asked Toyota if they checked the alignment. They did not do it because the shop did not ask them to do so. I'm very frustrated right now about the situation. I'd like to know what's wrong. I'm willing to pay to fix it if it's not accident related.

Now, I'm planning to change tires and do more services to the car. Before more investment to the car is done, I'd like to make sure that the car will drive in the same condition as before the collision. If the problem can't be solved, I will consider selling the car.

Please let me know if you have any comments about the car and a good way to deal with the shop/insurance. Thank you very much.

Reply to
NT

Rear wheel bearings are not a normal wear item. They are sealed units and normally require no service or maintenance. The Toyota rear suspension is very simple compared to the front. The rear suspension has no ball joints or drive axles, only the brakes (not "breaks" by the way), and wheel bearings, plus locating arms to hold the wheels in position as the suspension moves. Seems unlikely to me that collision would affect the brakes. They are basically a very simple mechanical device. You didn't say whether you have rear disk or drum brakes, let's assume drum - just check for a bent backing plate - the sheet metal that holds the brake linings. A noise from brakes should appear just turning the wheel with the car in the air, whereas a noise from wheel bearings is usually heard under "load" - that is when the weight of the car is on them. For front wheel bearing diagnosis, the usual method is to move the wheel from side to side while driving to shift the weight of the car from side to side and listen for any changes in noise to see which side makes more noise and replace the wheel bearing on that side. Not sure if a similar method would work for the rear. My guess (just a guess though) would be that both rear wheel bearings should be changed. If one was impacted, so was the other since both rear tires were on the ground both sides received equal force upon impact. Plus you say replacing one side reduced the noise, thus one is led to believe replacing both sides could then eliminate it altogether. Again, rear wheel bearings generally never wear out. The weight on the rear of the car is roughly forty per cent of the total weight of the car, and each side carries half that weight, so with a 3,000 pound car, if my calculations are correct, you only have 600 pounds riding on a wheel bearing - relatively light weight in automotive terms. Ask your Toyota dealer parts department, (most all have computer records now) how many Camry rear wheel bearings they sold last year. I'm guessing very few. So if the rear wheel bearings are bad, it's not your fault or a normal wear item. Plus, with enough impact to damage the door and side panel, the alignment should be checked and adjusted if needed, but should definitely be checked. My Toyota dealer will only do a computerized four wheel alignment because that is the only way you know everything is properly lined up. So that's my guess. Change the other wheel bearing (there's no difference in impact during the collision between sides since the frame "unibody" of the car forms a rigid connection between rear wheels both side receive same impact force therefore if one side is bad, they should both be changed, plus you say changing one helped, and remember they normally do not wear, so you're not responsible for replacement under the theory that they were worn out anyway. Plus do the alignment as a minimum insurance policy and you should be fine unless the alignment shows frame damage beyond the limits of adjustment. Just my opinion, not having seen the car, based on your statements.

Reply to
Daniel

If the SUV hit your actual rear road-wheel, the rim would be stuffed as well as the bearing (brinneled tracks in the bearing). The other side would sustain some side-load, but this is much reduced due tire(s) skidding/deforming effectively taking a lot of the shock.

In this situation, I would jack up the rear damaged side and then the other side and get them to spin each road wheel with a suitable device (dynamic wheel balance electric motor would do) so they can check for any run-out or lack of smoothness.Its better to have the rear suspension loaded during this test, so actual road conditions are simulated.

If I had to guess, its either something simple like a mud-flap fouling on the road-wheel or *something* is damaged in the hub or brakes area. Has the car got drum brakes on the rear? If so is the metal dust-cover fouling on the drum,..stuff like that..

I'd also inspect the inside of the effected road wheel specifically looking for rubbing marks on the inside tire-wall due to the tire fouling on its strut. This can be intermittant as the tire side-wall bulges (and starts rubbing on something) over road-undulations then returns to normal.

Dont let the matter drop. Accident damage can be more difficult to analyse than straightforward wear but its not impossible for a good mechanic.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thank you very much for your comments, Daniel and Jason. Now, I have more ideas what could have been wrong with the car. I'll take this information to discuss with the collision center and the Toyota dealer.

For more information, my rear brakes (thanks for correcting me) are drum. I had all brakes serviced about a year ago. The last inspection was that I had about 90% left for all wheels. I also took the car to Les Schawb for a free rear brake inspection. They took apart the drum brakes and inspected, not a test drive. They found nothing wrong and said they were like brand new. I don't know whatelse they did.

The followings are urls containing some photos of the car after collision.

I'm glad there's an auto group like this available for people to share their knowledge. Thanks again.

NT

Reply to
NT

Just to add my 2 cents worth on this topic. I've an accident a number of years ago when my front wheel was hit. After everything was fixed, I can hear a grinding sound from the wheel. Turn out it was the dust cover on the front brake touching the rotor. By bending the dust cover slightly away from the rotor, the sound disappeared. In your case, it could be some moving part touches a fixed part on the wheel. If this is the case, you should be able to see some marks on the fixed part.

Reply to
aiuser

which maybe where the wheel kept turning during the accident. The noise you describe may be tire-damage (some sidewall delamination perhaps) I would try a different wheel and tire on both sides, the damaged side first, then the other to cover all bases.

The brake guy said all looked OK inside the drum,..that limits the scope to road-wheel damage, strut noise, it did cop some side force, try "bouncing" the rear of the car to simulate the noise.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James