93 Accord Sedan Fan

A few mornings ago the car was dead. Almost no battery charge at all but some relay was clicking slowly.. I plugged in the charger and the fan started to run. I temporarily fixed this by pulling the fuse but need to find the actual switch or short circuit. Does anyone have any ideas as I cannot see anything wrong. Everything else is fine. Please reply here or by email removing the obvious bit and changing the first "a" to "r." TIA

Alan C snipped-for-privacy@nspmsympatico.ca

Reply to
Alan Combellack

The draining of your battery and the fan running is the clue.

Most likely your fan relay has its contacts welded closed so the fan is probably running all the time, draining your battery. Or it could be that the part that drives the fan is bad, telling the relay to close and thus the fan to run, draining your battery.

To determine whether your relay is bad, find the cooling and air conditioner fan relays. I think they are in the fuse box under the hood on an accord.

Most likely they are identical (ie. have identical part numbers).

If so, mark them both so you know where they came from (one coolant fan, one relay fan) and pull them both out. Then put the AC fan's relay in the coolant fan's socket. See if your problem now goes away. If so, your problem is the coolant fan's relay - get a new one. (now you know why you'll want to mark them when you pull them out).

If the fan is still running with the AC relay in the coolant fan's socket, whatever drives your fan is bad. Report back so we can talk you through what to do next.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I am not near a manual right now, but this PDF might be useful to you:

It shows where typically these relays are located, where the timer is located (if that happens to be your problem -- less likely) and the wiring between all components.

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
Alan Combellack

Glad I could be of help.

Fans often run after you shut the car off to cool them off properly. It could be that it never shut off when you parked it. The timer is supposed to turn it off after some predetermined time -- it could still be the timer or related circuitry, but that is far less likely than the relay's contacts being shorted so check that first by swapping relays.

Don't drive without the cooling fan disabled, though. You may have never noticed, but fans do periodically turn on, even on cold days. You don't want to run the risk of overheating and doing serious damage to the car. If you really need to drive the car and don't get to troubleshoot it, let the fan run all the time and pull the fan's fuse when you park it.

Enjoy the snow - hopefully we're (southern CT) not getting any no time soon :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco