1999 SW2: Problem with door locks making noise and not locking

The noise is coming from the passenger door and is not operation the door lock/unlock latches on the door next to the door handle inside. It sounds like if it were a worm drive setup that the drive is skipping up and over the gear and grabbing it. At any rate, however it is setup, it is not working. It also seemed like it was a stuck relay before as it drained the battery down to a dead nothing. It would not even take a charge from my 10 amp charger. It would kick out the circuit breaker on the charger. Took the battery to Interstate as it is a 60 month just short of a year old. They told me that the reason it would not take a charge and kicked out the breaker was that,..... he explained that it is like a water hose with a kink in it. Not sure I understood the analogy but I left the battery there and with their setup it took a charge and held at 12.XX Still don't know what is wrong with the SW2 though... I am looking for some help here in that area. I took the fuse out of the r/h fuse box on the passenger side under the radio on the kick panel. I did not take the one out from the main box up under the hood in front of the master cylinder. With the one fuse out, the remote will still make the doors attempt to unlock/lock. Does the other fuse have to be out to completely open the circuit? I am not sure where to start looking on this and even at this point what really to look for. Do I need to take a door panel off? Keep in mind that I want to leave that as a last resort with all other options of looking for the cause of the problem exhausted...

Just to throw in my 2 cents with regard to all of the damn belly aching about Saturn, The Obama nation (actually spelled Abomination) is one F&%@#ed UP situation that we all have to deal with for the next four years. The ones that are still 'sticking by his side' know they made a mistake. They just will not admit to it. They never will.... Doesn't matter if they do or not. We are all in the same sinking ship... Anly the stupid rats aren't jumping off....

Reply to
SW2 1999

No, that would be the republican-generated credit swap meltdown.

Reply to
Ouroboros Rex

No, the (GW) Bush administration wanted to regulate Fannie Mae and Fredddie Mac, it was principally the other side that stopped them from doing that. FWIW, I was on the side of the Dems -- I don't think it's up to government or agencies thereof to impose such arbitrary regulation but rather up to the parties to such arrangements to recognize the dangers; government's role should be limited to providing legal frameworks for enforcing contracts and adding to information to facilitate informed participation.

Reply to
SteveT

At the time, there was a republican majority in Congress. Nothing could have stopped them from doing that if they had wanted to. The dems couldn't even get bills to the floor. And, unfortunately, the repubs had passed their zero downpayment initiative a year or two earlier at Bush's request - by the time the meltdown occurred, some 40% of F&F's business consisted of such loans.

FWIW, I was on the side of the Dems -- I don't think

In fact, it was republican deregulation that brought the situation about.

Phil Gramm slipped the Commodities Futures Modernization Act into a 2000 omnibus bill at the last minute, and Bush and Co. passed the American Dream Downpayment Initiative in 2003.

"...Since the creation of the Federal Reserve, Congress has been passinglaws in an effort to correct problems caused by the flawed monetary system.But that all changed in 1999 when lobbyists wrote the "Commodity FuturesModernization Act" and gave it to lawmakers for consideration. The bill had little chance of a hearing, but while the Republican Congress was deadlocked with the Democrats in an effort to pass a budget, the Act was slipped into a budget compromise. Sponsored by Rep. Thomas Ewing [R-IL] and cosponsored by Rep. Tom Bliley (R-VA) Rep. Larry Combest (R-TX) Rep. John LaFalce (D-NY) Rep. James Leach (R-IA) the bill went to the Senate without debate.

The budget compromise later went to the Senate and then to President Bill Clinton for his signature. The Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 was signed into law on December 21, 2000. The purpose was to allow new financial products called swaps to be unregulated. Neither the SEC nor he Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) would be able to regulate them."

"Today we are taking action to bring many thousands of Americans closer to the great goal of owning a home," said President Bush. "These funds will help American families achieve their goals, strengthen our communities, and our entire nation."

"This is a good day for thousands of families who have only dreamed about sharing in the American Dream of homeownership," said Jackson. "Not only will this law allow thousands of hard-working Americans to unlock the door to homeownership, it will also help close the gap that separates minority households from the rest of the country when it comes to owning a home to call their own."

High downpayment and closing costs represent the most significant barrier to homeownership for first-time homebuyers. The American Dream Downpayment Act will provide a maximum downpayment assistance grant of either $10,000 or six percent of the purchase price of the home, whichever is greater. In addition, the Bush Administration is committed to reforming the homebuying process that would lower closing costs by approximately $700 per loan, further stimulating homeownership for all Americans..."

And don't forget Gramm-Leach-Bliley, another Phil Gramm gem, which allowed banks to become brokers.

"On November 4, 1999, Congress passed sweeping legislation that will dramatically reshape the financial services industry by removing barriers between banks, insurance companies, and investment firms which have existed since the Great Depression. President Clinton is expected to sign this historic legislation...."

"...Permits bank holding companies that qualify as Financial Holding Companies ("FHC") to engage in an expanded array of activities, and to acquire companies engaged in such activities, that are financial in nature, incidental to, or complementary to financial activities, subject to certain Federal Reserve Board restrictions. For example, the Act designates the following as permissible FHC activities: underwriting; dealing and market making without any revenue limitation (such as sponsoring and distributing all types of mutual funds); operating investment companies; insurance underwriting and agency activities; merchant banking; and insurance company portfolio investments. "

Reply to
Ouroboros Rex

You're seem very skilled at selecting from among the facts those you wish to present, far more than I have been so far! :) Since there are almost always two sides to every story, you are at least partly correct:

From

[noting, parenthetically, that _USA Today_ is far from being a right-leaning journal]:

"The bill barring most regulation of derivative trading was inserted into an

11,000-page budget measure that became law as the nation was focused on the disputed 2000 presidential election. It was sponsored by Republican Sens. Phil Gramm of Texas and Richard Lugar of Indiana - with support from Democrats, the Clinton administration and then-Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan. Few opposed it.

"Sen. Tom Harkin, an Iowa Democrat who help negotiate the bill for Democrats, says he put aside his qualms because Wall Street and Greenspan were adamant that less regulation would help the stock market.

"A bill barring derivatives from being regulated as futures contracts passed the House in October 2000, by a vote of 377-4.

"2. Protecting Fannie, Freddie

"In 2005, Congress rejected a Republican-sponsored bill aimed at curbing risky investments by mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, thanks to resistance from mostly Democrats. It was the latest in a string of unsuccessful attempts to rein in the two agencies. In this case, Congress ignored Greenspan's warning about the financial risks Fannie and Freddie were taking on."

For more complete (and unfiltered) thoughts, also see hits at

And always take anything you read with at least a modicum of NaCl.

Reply to
SteveT