93 civic Si with sloppy front end ? what to do ?

i have 93 Civic Si with 197k miles (all mine) the front end is starting to feel sloppy / loose (as i describe it)

didn't really notice till i drove around in a higlander rental for about a week then i get in the pavement rat and it feels sloppy ???

note these are all slight probably but i (like others ?) liken myself to an professional street driver i am one with the rat and i can feel what it feels coursing down the road bump here a little tremble there, light pitch in the turn etcc

the steering does not seem as responsive to input and gives a slight boating affect, the steering wheel kind of wobbles ever so slightly while driving along, seems to turn easier one way than the other, when going over bumps it now feels like there is alot more movement, shaking, clinking etc going on up there matbe a slight knock or clunk...

I hope to do any work myself short of replacing all the front end joinery , bushings etc

So is this just one thing to look into or multiple items ? what are things to just wholesale replace after 197k miles ?

TIA rob

Reply to
robm

"robm" wrote in news:2Pz9f.3158$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

That "joinery , bushings" stuff is EXACTLY what you need to replace, sorry to say.

Also replace the shocks and springs while you're at it.

What's that? You say the cost isn't worth it? Then forget this project and buy a car that's not 12 years old.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Which for the most part, isn't really that difficult...

On the other hand...

A 12-year-old Honda is a lot more valuable than most other 12-year-old cars :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Amen!

I was thinking about selling my '87 Si hatchback. When gas hit $2.50, I changed my mind. With 240K on the dial and still getting 35mpg and passing CA smog, it's a keeper. The suspension is still tight, too. I'll only let it go for a 4th gen Si.

nb

Reply to
notbob

12 is considered old for honda ? i upgraded to the honda from a '74 Audi in '93 with 263k miles and would not have done it except for major rust incursion in floorboard ,quarter panels and Boot/trunk bla bla

i didn't say it was not worth it the new/young car will be 12 years old someday and the same dilema (or worse) once again plus bigger out pocket $$$

i should have high-lighted the **all** part i was asking question since i have usually done things piecewise and never really incur one big cost but for some projects the trouble to do some small piece it seems prudent to change other pieces that will require same work later (avoid redundant disassembly) yes/no?

can you recommend a good (quality parts) web source for honda parts ? I usually go to local foreign auot parts store (support local economy)? do you know of any packaged front end kits ?

i found

thanks for again for helpful answers rob

Reply to
robm

I was thumbing through my "honda" civic service manual looking at the suspension section to identify the parts and to determine the diagnostic specs...

When the sevice manual says inspect for wear by moving something (eg. wheel wobble) and they do not specify the acceptable amount then does that imply

**no movement** acceptable?

another amen here... it is worth it to me since it is my 12 years driving and i know everything the car has been through.

rob

Reply to
robm

Matt Ion wrote in news:SuN9f.377281$oW2.321535@pd7tw1no:

...unless rust is factored in. I just went through that on the rear suspension on my '91 'Teg this past summer. Rust makes things rather complicated indeed.

Yes, but is it worth five hundred bucks or so on what is essentially a personal-preference issue?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"robm" wrote in news:iCO9f.3009$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

For ANY car 12 is old. Of course 12-years old neglected is quite a bit older than 12-years old well-maintained.

I was anticipating the obvious responses that I felt had to be coming (but didn't).

The reason I keep my '91 alive.

Are you looking for OEM or aftermarket?

You could try here:

Some of these places sell aftermarket as well.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

True... but then that's the case for working on almost any part of the car, especially when it comes to loosening rusted nuts and bolts. Aside from that, most "joints" are pretty straightforward.

Depends on a lot of factors: overall condition of the car, purchase price (I got an '87 Accord hatch in fairly good body shape, lots of performance parts, and great running condition for $600, so dropping a few bucks on it isn't too much of a problem), and of course, what the car is worth to the owner personally - some have more of an emotional attachment :)

Reply to
Matt Ion