94 Civic Eratic Idle Problem - Have read all posts still no luck!

Hi all. This is my first post to the group I hope I'm able to get help.

I have a 94 Honda Civic D16Z6 1.6L V-Tech. It overheated and warped the head. I replaced all gaskets mill had the head milled flat and pressure tested. Replace a busted throttle body (it was broken during removal). And all attached sensors. Removed and check IAC Valve. Engine sounds good, sounds great actually. No pinging or valve ticks. However the car idle eratically after being on for only minutes. Pressing on the gas causes the engine to hold a steady rpm above 1600. The pedal to engine response is good which makes me think this is not a timing issue. I have no idea how to check the timing. I have a Chiltons manual but could find nothing listed. What could cause this other than known sensor issues TPS, IACV, FITV, no codes to display, the engine light never comes on. Engine does not overheat. Just a very very eratic idle,

1000 - 1600 rpm. I'm tired of everyone thinking I want to race them at red lights. Can anyone think of any other known issues?

Help is GREATLY Appreciated!!!!

Reply to
tek

Did you thoroughly purge the cooling system of air? Is the cooling system topped off?

Starting from cold engine, this will require idling the car for 40 minutes or so to get the fan to come on twice.

Air in the cooling system will result in inadequate temperatures of certain engine control components, potentially throwing off the idle.

My Chilton's manual covers the 94 Civic. "Checking and Adjusting the Timing" is in Section 2, under "Ignition Timing."

"tek" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Just a very very eratic idle,

----------------------------------

Try filling the coolant reservoir to the MAX, three mornings in a row (while the engine is stone cold). If the level is dropping each morning, you're still expelling trapped air. Don't forget to run your heater on HOT so the air can escape from the heater core too.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

Doesn't the 94 Civic have a coolant air-bleed port like my 94 Integra B18 engine?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have cleaned the cooling system 3 times now flushing it out one of those times. Topping it off each time and letting it idle with the heat full blast.

I have a new symptom now.

When I start the car it immediately starts hissing. I am positive this is due to a vacuum leak somewhere but I cannot pin point exactly where it is comming from. The car is able to run and drives great, however after running the car for say at least 15 minutes when you turn it off some coolant will spill out. I assuming its from the same place that is hissing. It seems to be under the intake manifold somewhere however I cannot see down in there far enough to find the leak.

Anybody know of any commong vacuum leaks or hosing that came come undone easily?

Thanks.

Tek

Jim Yanik wrote:

Reply to
tek

"tek" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v61g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Air leak. Check Fast Idle Valve under throttle body.

With engine full-warm and running, remove air pipe from cleaner to throttle body. Immediately in front of the throttle plate, there are two ports in the throttle body. Is there suction at the LOWER port in the throttle body? If so, Fast Idle Valve is stuck.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I read that on another post somewhere and checked it. When I checked it it wasn't all the way warmed up I don't think but it had suction. I know this isn't the problem however this part was just recently replaced from another civic I have. The other civic was in perfect running order. Also I know this would not cause the whistling noise I am hearing along with the stuttering that occurs frequently when pressing on the gas in gear.

Any other ideas? Good gueses so far however I have already tried all these avenues.

Tek

TeGGeR=AE wrote:

Reply to
tek

"tek" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You have an air leak somewhere. Follow the whistling noise. It is obviously giving you a clue here.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

LOL I know that it is giving me a clue I could not find the whistling noise..... I also know why I couldn't find it. I had already found it, I thought it was under the intake manifold in a hose I couldn't get to.

It was the intake manifold itself.... well the gasket anyway. I replaced it and it purrs like a kitten! Wow this car has been sitting for two years because of two problems, throttle body and the attached map sensor and a messed up intake manifold gasket.

God it feels good to have my trusty civic back!

Thanks to everyone for their help. I learned a hell of a lot of things about my car just trying to figure out these problems. I want to thank the internet gods, my grandpa for getting me into computers, and also all the honda people out there for sharing their secrets with the user group community!

Tek

Reply to
tek