Focus Idle problem

Hi,

I have a couple of issues with my UK 1999 Focus 1.8 Zetec 54000 miles. When the engine is at idle, the engine vibrates and feels "lumpy" this has only just started to happen. The engine revs / drives fine otherwise. The other issue I have is that when the air-conditioning is on, if I dip the clutch at anything over 5 MPH, the engine revs rise (normally no more than 2000 RPM but sometimes to 3 - 4000 RPM) Is this normal?

Any advice / help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ian

Reply to
Ian Bilsland

You may have either a vacuum leak somewhere on the induction path which is upsetting the idle, or you have the beginnings of a sticking ISCV which is common on the Zetec-E at around this mileage, especially if you stick to the Ford servicing schedule of 10k. Check as best you can for splits or leaking vacuum hoses first.

Unfortunately the ISCV is an absolute bugger to access on this engine, and only from below, and they dont respond to cleaning very well. Believe me you dont want to be taking it on and off more than once, so replacement is the better option really. (about £65)

The wayward idle especially with the a/c on and usually worse when the engine is partly warmed up is very common, when clutch is down and moving at low speed. However 3000rpm+ is abit excessive. Mine does it too!

You could check with the dealer if your car is running the latest software which does address this idle flare partially. If not, have them download it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim,

Are you referring to the idle control valve ISCV? This is apparently located inside the induction chamber according to my Haynes manual. I have the car booked in at my local Ford garage on Tuesday. They were going on about a £65 charge for using their computer diagnostic equipment to determine the problem which sounded a little expensive?

Reply to
Ian Bilsland

The ISCV / idle speed control valve is mounted on the underside of the plastic inlet manifold. You cant even see it from above. It has two torx bolts which hold it on.

£65 is rather steep for a diagnostic check, and I exepct they won't find any stored fault. You can check for these yourself anyhow using the instrument panel put into DTC mode. (Hold down trip reset pin, switch on igntion, use pin to cycle through the different menu's..)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ask Ford to upgrade the software in your ECU...They do it for me Free of charge usually.

Reply to
Luke Surrey

I am glad I'm reading this because this exact same problem started with me today.

Reply to
Sheila R. Hudson