94 civix ex update

Ok thanks everybody - changed the blower motor - so now i have reliable cool a/c , and got the cruise control working. the CC turned out to be pretty simple - a sensor to check if the clutch petal was fully up was adjusted so that it couldn't make contact. I have no idea why anyone did that - but i'm glad it was the problem - cost me nothing but a little sweat equity.

Next things - Timing belt, and need a replacement roof antenna.

Honda wants $750 to replace it or $250 for belt set and waterpump. $500 labor sounds too steep to me. can get Gates belt set for $95 from Napa and water pump for 65. Is there anything that CANNOT be reached with hand tools ( I don't have air/impact tools but everything looks straightforward) Looks like a job i could do in a day - Thanks Tegger for the tip on your Faq page about marking old belt/pully & transfering to new belt.

Is Honda antifreeze necessary? Car has green eth/glycol AF in it that looks & smells clean - I don't know whether it's Honda or not. - will std E/G (prestone) AF mix with honda- and what's the difference.

Reply to
jim L

one thing virtually everybody on this group agrees on, and that's using genuine honda parts for a job like that.

if you go to tegger.com, you'll find a list of online honda parts retailers that we've all used. use them for pricing.

the pulley bolt. you need an impact driver or a 3/4" drive socket and pulley holder. impact driver rental is probably your cheapest bet.

i STRONGLY recommend you reinvest some of the money you save from doing this job yourself in the genuine honda workshop manual from helminc.com. read the relevant section /before/ you start the job.

others will disagree, but in my experience, you'll be ok with non-honda long life [orange] antifreeze. don't use the cheap crap. and don't buy the mix - buy the concentrate, distilled water at $0.99/gal and mix it yourself.

Reply to
jim beam