95 Honda Prelude

Hello all.

I have a 95 Prelude. When I started moving from a complete stop, my engine quit. I took the car to the dealer. They informed me that timing belt broke. Best case scenario is the timing belt is the only problem at $595.00 repair. Worst case scenario is engine damage and the repair would be $1,795.00. This is what concerns me. The dealer wants me to agree to replacing the belt so he can attempt to start the engine allowing him to determine if additional repairs are needed.

I found this to be suspicious. I am assuming they would be able to determine if some damage has happened to the engine without me spending $595.00. According to the dealer, the starter engages and the engine turns without any unusual noise.

The mechanic has offered me $500 for the car as it sits. He has an engine he could put in the vehicle.

Anyone have any thoughts as to if I am getting ripped off?

Thanks for the advice...

Reply to
Randi

If possible, take it to another mechanic just in case he is trying to rip you off. One method of determing if the timing belt is broken is to take off the cap or the top portion of the distributer. While a friend starts the car--you or someone else should watch the distributer--if nothing spins around--the timing belt is broken. If you see a spinning motion--it means the timing belt is NOT broken. I did not use any terms that you might not understand. If any mechanics read this--feel free to provide even better advice.

Reply to
Jason

I'd pull off the valve cover and see if the timing belt is around the cam gears. Turning over the engine could cause more damage by bending the valves. If the timing belt is broken, then the valve are stuck in different positions, turning over the engine moves the pistons up & down, if the valve is open it will bend when the piston hits it. That's why they are called interference motors. The only way to tell, without replacing the timing belt, if the valves are bent would be to let the cams go so all the valves are in a closed position, and then compression check the cylinders... a bent valve will not close and seat itself. Apart from that pull off the head all together and have it checked.

Reply to
Ross Cranford

I think what you may have meant to say is to perform a leak down test not a compression test. A leak down test pressurizes the cylinder with air. If any of the valves are bent, then air will leak into either the exhaust or the intake manifold depending on which valve is bent.

Another way to check for bent valves is to check the valve clearances as you do during a valve adjustment. Any bent valves will not seat all the way and the clearances will be excessively large. If you're careful, this check can be performed without putting a new timing belt on the car.

Lastly, to the original poster, I think it would be a mistake to sell the car for $500. If they are pressuring you to do this, then I would find another shop.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Checking the valve clearances will also give a good indication whether any valves are bent. If they are all pretty much to spec the valves are probably good. If some are way wide, count on those valves to be bent.

In addition, a ratchet on the crank bolt (turn CCW!) to pull the engine through all four compression cycles should give a rough idea of the state of the compression. If some cylinders resist and some don't....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pardee" Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 3:22 PM Subject: Re: 95 Honda Prelude

Duh! If the timing belt is broken now, the compression can't be checked!

Mike (feelin' foolish)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I am not sure this guy has your best interests in mind. Yes, it is a dicey situation, but he is certainly aware of the ways to get a feel for how the valves fared. It sounds like he is hoping you will sell him the car for $500, which guarantees him a good deal and gives you the same deal if the valves are good that you would have if the valves are bent. In addition, you mention he seems to be guiding you toward trying the belt - a move that is premature and only guarantees $600 will move from your pocket to his whether it gets you any closer to a working car or not.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable working with him.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

He's trying to get a good car for dirt cheap like most mechanics because it's nothing for him to get an engine for dirt cheap and then he builds a car worth 5 times what he spent on it. I'd tell him he can have it for $1000 if he wants it so bad. Get another mechanic. Engines for hondas are selling for cheap on Ebay. If you really like the car and its the whole engine thats ruined buy one and find a mechanic to put it in for cheap.

Reply to
hondaman