96 EX V6 with intermittent AC cooling.

96 EX V6 has intermittent cooling. Sometimes very cool & sometimes blowing hot - even on the same short trip. Seems like it is probably blowing hot more frequently than in the past. Anybody with a similar experience &/or any tips on what to check for? I'll take on something if it isn't major. Thanks.
Reply to
KR

Hi, I'd check the wiring behind dash control panel for a/c. I had a problem like that and the bulk head connector was not fully seated causing intermittent problem. Even dealer could not find it, I did.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Update on intermittent AC cooling. When working the air is cold so I'm not sure how it could be a low refrigerant cause. When blowing hot air the condensor fan is still running but the compressor is not turning. So, something is causing the compressor to not run when it should. From my research on this it seems that it could be the compressor clutch relay, the thermostat or the pressure switch. Any experience or ideas on this? Thanks.

Reply to
KR

Further update: The fact the condensor fan runs when the compressor fan doesn't seems to rule out the AC switch & I think but am not certain, the thermostat (in the evaporator). I'm not clear on whether it also rules out the pressure switch. If the compressor stops because of a pressure reading, should the condensor fan still run? Will a low pressure (like low refrig) trigger the switch & stop the compressor just like a too high reading? I feel I'm closing in on this & my chief suspect is the compressor clutch relay but want to be sure before I start ordering parts. Thanks.

Reply to
KR

Update: I checked the refrigerant level & pressure & it is fine. One more Q&A & I should have this figured out. If my pressure switch is bad, would the condensor fan run & the compressor not run? Does the system need to be evacuated to replace the pressure switch? If the condensor fan should not be running if the compressor is not running then my next step is to replace the compressor clutch relay which has been my chief suspect all along. Appreciate any knowledgeable feedback out there. Thanks.

Reply to
KR

Update: I checked the red clutch/coil lead in "failed" mode & I still had battery voltage which proves my relay is fine. I then forced the clutch against the rotating pressure plate (exciting - I recommend a thin wooden stick/pole - less sparks than metal) & lo & behold, it engaged. The gap is out of spec - not by a huge amount but it is bigger than the outside tolerance. I guess that over time the natural progression is for everything to wear & loosen to a wider gap. So, it seems clear I need to pull the clutch & remove some shims. I've never messed with a compressor clutch & there is precious little clearance from the end of the clutch to the inner fender - maybe

3/4". I'm not sure what I'm getting into here. I don't think there is enough clearance without pulling the compressor & then I'm not sure you could do it without evacuating the system? Can you do this with the compressor in place or must it be removed? I'm wondering if I might be better off to take it to a reliable mechanic & have them do this. I wouldn't expect there to be too much to it for them....maybe 1 hour labor or something like that? Any opinions or experience on this? Thanks again.
Reply to
KR

I'm closing down this thread which has become a monologue anyway. Anybody interested in this topic should try the Honda Accord Forum where I got much better response & help on this. Thanks.

Reply to
KR

I'm closing down this thread which has sadly become a monologue. Anybody interested in this topic should try the Honda Accord Forum where I got much better response & help. Thanks.

Reply to
KR

You might want to search and post to the fora at

. It has much discussion on Honda A/C system woes.

The A/C section of the free online manual at

might be helpful, too. "KR" wrote

Reply to
Elle