Broken glovebox hinge support on 1991 Accord

Good morning.

My 1991 Accord glovebox is hanging down on the righthand side. I removed the glovebox, and discovered that the righthand bracket (the bracket that the hinge crossbar bolts onto) has broken off from the dashboard support. This is a metal strip encapsulated in the foam core of the dashboard. Any ideas on how I might fix it?

Thanks

-Mark

Reply to
Mark G.

"Mark G." wrote in news:IJCdnQNRY-

7pV0jWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.palinacquisition:

Get another glovebox from the wreckers. Really cheaply, too.

Reply to
Tegger

The glovebox door itself is fine, it's the hinge

mounting on the dashboard assembly that has broken off.

Photos here:

The broken piece is in the two bottom photos. Note the

metal bracket encapsulated in foam, the metal bracket

has cracked and broken away from the dashboard frame.

I'm thinking that perhaps I could epoxy the broken

bit back in place, and then surround it with a

layup of fiberglass cloth and epoxy?

Reply to
Mark G.

Just get some JB Weld & reinforce it with a thin strip of metal, or dig into the dash of one at the wreckers & see if the part is actually removable.

Reply to
E. Meyer

"E. Meyer" wrote>>

Hmm. Maybe I can fabricate a metal dogleg and JB Weld the broken piece to it. Then reattach the dogleg to the dashboard with a fiberglass layup.

Reply to
Mark G.

"Mark G." wrote in news:GKednYgBDJPFiUvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.palinacquisition:

Wanna re-post that pic of the glovebox opening with either your finger or an arrow showing where that piece came from? Most of your pictures are taken from up too close, and with few recognizable reference points.

If the fractured piece is part of the padded dash cover, I've successfully repaired similar breaks with pieces sawed off of wrecks.

Reply to
Tegger

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7FB7445.1A6EF% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

some plastics are next to impossible to glue. I have found some success with construction adhesive,like Liquid Nails.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Done.

Reply to
Mark G.

"Mark G." wrote in news:c7KdnW1Mk-OYgErWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.palinacquisition:

And...how did you fix it?

Reply to
Tegger

I haven't yet. I'm interested in any ideas that might work.

I'm thinking about getting some metal stock and making a dogleg to match the angle of the righthand edge of the glovebox opening. Rivet or JB Weld the broken piece to the end, fit it in place, and plaster it down with some epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

Reply to
Mark G.

just use aluminum sheet snipped to size and epoxy. works great in my crx.

Reply to
jim beam