Coolant

What would be an ok alternative to Honda Brand coolant for my 98 Civic ? Keep hearing if you don't use Honda brand, your asking for trouble, and I just can't believe that.

Reply to
richard48

I and some others here use the orange Havoline Dexcool. It has some commentary on the packaging suggesting it's okay for Honda's aluminum engines.

I have been using it since 2002 without problems. Changed it once since then, last year. Looked pretty clean, with maybe

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of brown and white sandy residue coming out.

Do not use Prestone green or Prestone anything.

wrote

Reply to
Elle

i've been using orange extended life prestone for years and have never had a problem. it's aluminum safe, meets g.m.'s dex-cool spec, and from woolmort, doesn't cost too much. next thing is to use distilled water as dilutant - prevents minerals crudding up the system and initiating corrosion.

Reply to
jim beam

The reason for the Honda recomendation is it lubricates the water pump, which if fails is a major cost. So why kick a sleeping dog, stick with the Honda anti freeze.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

For the life of me, I can understand WHY you want to use other than Honda, unless it's not available. Even if it cost a few bux more, you are not changing it every day, so why take a chance?

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

"G-Man" wrote

For the life of you, you can't understand that it's more convenient to buy orange Havoline Dexcool at Wal-Mart for a lot less money?

Reply to
Elle

Again, how freakin' often are you changing this stuff? And to be honest, going to my dealer is a LOT easier than getting in and out of Wal-Fart! :-)

But hey, to each his own!

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

There are certain items that one should ensure that are OEM but antifreeze ain't on of 'em.

If large manufacturers like Prestone etc. were offering products that were clearly not compatible, they would be loaded with lawsuits in today's litigant society.

I think (as others have mentioned) that the more important ingredient is distilled water as the diluting agent.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

How about Prestone, 5/150 Extended Life coolant ?

Reply to
richard48

I haven't seen reports on it, one way or the other, here. The orange Havoline Dexcool is proven, in my mind, based on reports here and my own experience.

I would think the prices are similar for the Prestone extended life and Havoline Dexcool and so would go with what's proven for now.

wrote

Reply to
Elle

Personally I wouldn't risk it. How often do you do a coolant change, once every five years? I stick with the recommended coolant. Maybe it is just me, but I don't trust "universal" product claims for coolants or lubricants.

JOhn

Reply to
John Horner

When the chemists at the antifreeze company design the products they sell, one of the things they look at is the water available to the user.

Honda designed its coolant around Japanese water; Prestone et al designed theirs around American water. The difference in the coolant is that the non-Honda coolant contains sodium silicate; Honda coolant is silicate-free. Put silicated antifreeze in a car that requires silicate-free coolant and it will eventually eat the bearings in the water pump.

I must now point out that, except for Honda, every Japanese automaker is capable of building a water pump that will last if there's silicated antifreeze in the car. I must also point out that the Honda water pump used in the cars Honda makes in the United States is also made here.

I can kinda see why Richard wants to get away from Honda Genuine coolant; the Honda dealer in Fayetteville, NC, charges around $11 for one gallon of this product AND IT'S 50/50 PREMIX! Twenty-two dollars to change the coolant in a 1986 Accord LX-I? No thank you!

I've been running the Prestone "all makes all models mixes with anything" coolant in my car and so far it looks real good.

--jm

Reply to
Jim Mowreader

My local dealer charges $14/gal for the stuff. Since it's pre-mixed(which I wasn't aware of until I saw the container) I had to buy two containers..... $28! OUCH. The stuff must be liquid gold. Thank goodness I won't have to change it again for several years.

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com