Cooling Problems! 91 Honda Accord

I have a 91 honda accord and recently I noticed my gas mileage has dropped quite significantly. My temperature guage has been reading slightly lower than normal and seems to fluctuate and drop frequently. It has also overheated once or twice on me during the past two weeks. I changed the thermostat and drained the coolant but still no change. The lower radiator hose is extremely cold and the top one hot. I havent noticed any coolant loss and i dont see any coolant flow with the radiator cap off and the engine running. I am completely stumped anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Thank you!

Reply to
hammerd81

Assuming that the replacement thermostat is working correctly, it appears that you may have a plugged radiator.

JT

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

It still sounds like a thermostat problem - not many other reasons for the temperature guage being low unless the guage is defective (rarer than thermostat problems). There's no point in trying to improve fuel economy until you can get the engine to warm up.

I am guessing the replacement thermostat was an aftermarket one. My experiences with aftermarket thermostats is that they tend to act a lot like that when new! It's absolutely amazing how little leakage it takes through a thermostat to keep the engine from warming up in cold weather. A genuine Honda thermostat and genuine Honda coolant should make a real difference. Be sure to properly purge the coolant system after filling it to prevent weird symptoms. See also

and
Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

also

Thanks alot im gonna give it a try! ill post if it fixes the problem. Thanks

Reply to
hammerd81

I was thinking the same thing but didn't have time to write. It really sucks when you replace a part and later find it's bad. Makes you look at other things because the new part "cant be bad!". Lots of grief, wasted time and money expended for nothing.

I'm not sure if this model could be air bound that certainly can cause some strange behavior.

My '91 Accord DX is the best (reliable) car I've ever owned. My wife and I have new cars or fairly new cars (2007 Civic Ex with Nav and

2005 Acura TL with Nav). I traded in my 2001 CL Type S, after the tranny was replaced under warranty, for the TL.

The Accord still sits in the driveway and I still like to drive it. It's served us well but will be picked up by the new owner this weekend. We don't need three cars for the two of us, we need more room in the driveway, and we don't like giving the insurance company $700 a year for it to sit in the driveway. We will miss it!

Good luck with your fixing yours! There's lots of helpful people here so keep us updated.

Reply to
NoMoreRGS

The best thing to do, when installing a new thermostat, regardless if it is OEM or Aftermarket, place it in a pan of water and crank up the heat. Watch it as the water get near boiling. You should see it open. Then you know it is good, as long as it is installed in the correct direction.

Reply to
Thom