Cooling system flow problem

guys,

I have a case of a mercury tracer 1988 that overheats. I replaced the thermostat, water pump (is relatively new, less than one year), radiator cap. I noticed that there is no/little flow in the upper hose when the engine is hot. I even disconnected the upper hose while the engine is running. I expected a strong flow coming out. Instead I get a trickle of coolant. Also, the radiator stays relatively cold to the touch. This seems to be an indication of internal blockage in the engine block or the radiator. The next step that I was going to do is to remove the thermostat altogher and see what happens. I guess that I could test the radiator with a flow test.

Any other idea of how to narrow down the problem?

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Sheehy

Pierre,

Sounds like you are on the right track. First, remove the thermostat altogether just so we can eliminate the simple things. Then, find if the blockage is in the engine or the radiator, and fix accordingly. A good professional flushing might help get the blockage out. I would also see if you can do a pressure check of your cooling system to make sure it holds pressure and there are no internal leaks.

Scott

Pierre Sheehy wrote:

Reply to
Sc0tt

|Pierre Sheehy wrote: |> guys, |> |> I have a case of a mercury tracer 1988 that overheats. |> I replaced the thermostat, water pump (is relatively new, less than one |> year), |> radiator cap. I noticed that there is no/little flow in the upper hose when |> the engine |> is hot. I even disconnected the upper hose while the engine is running. I |> expected |> a strong flow coming out. Instead I get a trickle of coolant. Also, the |> radiator stays relatively |> cold to the touch. This seems to be an indication |> of internal blockage in the engine block or the radiator.

Or a thermostat not hot enough to open. If you could pull the hose I doubt it was hot enough.

One thing that happens occasionally is a water pump impeller hat slips on the shaft. Since you changed it last year, that is a possibility you need not overlook.

The next step that |> I was going to |> do is to remove the thermostat altogher and see what happens. I guess that I |> could test the |> radiator with a flow test.

Get a flushing tee set and use it per the instructions. Leave the theremostat in for this, so it will flush the coooling system in reverse direction, which you definitely need to do.

Reply to
Rex B