Our old Camry is showing its age (~12 years) and we have decided to
look for a new car but budget down to "Corolla level". I said "level"
as I am open to competing models from Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, etc.
I would appreciate your help in choosing the model, as well as the
"sub-model" (CE, LE, DX etc.).
Most of our driving is city or regional: round trips to places 10-50
miles away. A few times a year we drive 300-500 miles trips.
I would like basic safety features (line anti-lock brakes) and comforts
(4-door, AC). Very high priority running cost (mpg, reliability). I can
live with manual or automatic. I would consider new, or low-mileage
dealer demos etc, but not "really used". (Like everyone else, I thought
about Prius but it looks too expensive.)
A few questions:
1. Which make/model would be the best fit?
2. What is the best site for reading up on these and well as comparison
reviews? (Bought my last car 12 years ago and online resources must
have come along since then.)
3. Would you go to a local dealer or Carmax, Carsdirect etc?
4. At this point would you buy a 2009, or 2008?
5. When is the best time of the year to get good deals on last years
models, dealer demos, loaners and like? (These I'd imagine are only
available from dealers.)
Thanks for all help.