Econo mode - does it make any difference?

Just got a 2013 Accord EX. Have been driving with the econo mode on full time per suggestion of salesman. Does anyone have any long term thoughts on whether it makes a discernible difference in mileage, or any downsides? I drive with a light foot on the accelerator anyway.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have a 2013 Accord EXL4 and have been playing with the econo mode. If the mileage gauge is accurate then in my recent urban/gridlock mode of driving the econo button might be giving me about a 5% benefit - but still doesn't help when the traffic gets really heavy, the new Accord is very thirsty when idling and when taking off from a stop, no matter how gently you try.

In fact, I think the best mileage is achieved by accelerating a little more quickly, then coasting. And don't put your foot on the gas just a little when cruising, the mileage meter says that drinks gas and adds no velocity, seems to me their computer needs some tuning in those regimes.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I bought a 2013 Civic LX just about a month ago and have put a little over

1000 miles on it. I've played around with the Eco Mode as well and have observed a minor difference in gas mileage. The car seems most fuel efficient when Eco mode is turned on and cruise control is used out on the Interstate. I've seen about a 5 MPG difference over the same 20-mile stretch of highway, driving under similar conditions, with Eco mode on vs. off.

However, personally, I spend very little time on the Interstate. For traditional suburban driving, with frequent stops, I see little advantage in having it on. There is definitely a performance hit for me, though. With Eco mode on, the car accelerates a lot like my old 2002 Saturn... a wee bit sluggish. I call the Eco mode my "power boost button" because when I hit the button and turn it off, it's like driving a totally different vehicle.

I'm undecided on whether to leave it on or off. I guess it really just depends on each person's driving habits, travel conditions, etc. Truly a matter of personal preference.

Reply to
Steve Crow