89 digifant ii jetta mileage

Here's one for you all-

For the last year or so I've been trying to figure out why my mileage is down around 25 per gallon city / 29 highway. I put in a TT exhaust 6 months back which may have helped a little but not much. New O2 sensor made no difference. New rotor and Dist cap, plugs, ditto. Summer and winter same mileage, running with AC or without makes a slight difference but not a lot. No vacuum leaks found. I was wondering if perhaps I had a leaky injector and had put this on my to do list when I just took the car on an extended run from central Texas up to Colorado. Lots of highway miles.

As I drove up the mileage began to improve with each tank. Around 30 mpg around Lubbock, 32 at Colorodo Springs. One week of driving around the state, a couple of days in the city and then 4 or 5 in the high country over mountain passes. By the end of the week my mileage on one tank (90 octane - couldn't find higher) was at 37.6 mpg. I wondered if maybe the hard running had made something settle out and my mileage would stay up in the mid 30s highway.

Wrong. As I drove down through New Mexico fuel economy began to fall - first down to 31 mpg, and then across west Texas back down around 29 on the highway.

Does anybody have an explanation for why this is happening? Otherwise the car runs fine, though it seems to prefer the cooler winter weather ('course, I do to, so this may be my imagination). The only constant seems to be lower elevation means poorer mileage. Any thoughts?

TIA, Chris

Reply to
starburst

would different gas hurt the mileage some? maybe FI coolant temperature sensor faulty? bad ground wires at cyl. head or intake manifold? bad air flow box? bad/clogged cat. conv.?

just some thoughts :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Maybe (oxygenated winterized gas usually hurts mileage in my experience) but I think we've ruled that out here from his information.

Could be. Is the idle normal or is it a little fast, esp. when warm? If fast, that could be it.

all worth checking. also check the air filter.

I'd also check timing. Shouldn't need the 90 octane fuel (87 should be fine for a 1.8L 8V A2).

Reply to
Matt B.

I thought this at first, because I put a tank of shell in on the way, instead of my normal Chevron. But I had several different types of fuel over the trip, and they seemed to make no difference on mileage. Elevation seemed to matter - that's what's so funny.

new last year, and otherwise the car works fine. A temp sensor would be faulty all of the time, wouldn't it?

All recently cleaned with contact cleaner. And again, why the change when I took the car up high?

Maybe. Hmmm. How would I check this?

It's not rattling or anything and I don't have any other symptoms.

Love this tag line, btw. Thanks for the ideas - Chris

Reply to
starburst

Maybe we should all move to Colorado to save gas and help win the war on terrorism!

;-]

Chris

Reply to
starburst

No. It's a little slow, in fact, which I think is being caused by a sluggish idle valve, but I'm not sure.

The filter is about 2 years old and isn't in bad shape (I can still see light through it).

If I don't run premium through it it pings like hell, especially in the summer, and my mileage goes down a bit. It's real hot here. The timing is right, too.

I don't know what to think, other than the car just doesn't like Texas.

Chris

Reply to
starburst

I thought I was the only one... I have a '91 Jetta w/ digifant2 and that's almost exactly the experience I have. Most times I get around 30ish, occasionally I'll get really really good mileage and a few times a little worse. I've checked all the things suggested and then some. Maybe this is just typical mileage for a digifant2 engine? Let me know if you're onto something with the injector idea... that's something I haven't actually looked into yet. -Dave

Reply to
Dave McLaren

Dave said>

I don't know. But did you see the posts today from those folks up in Canada averaging 35+ per gallon on highway trips? Man.

A local mechanic suggested it. He advised to remove the plugs and jumper the fuel pump relay and then look to see if fuel was dripping into the cylinders. I haven't tried it yet, but I might sometime soon. If you try it let me know what you find, OK? Still, it seems a long shot to account for such low miles, and it doesn't explain why mileage goes up so much sometimes. Shrug.

Chris

Reply to
starburst
87 is fine for my 91 Golf... but it does run a little nicer on premium fuel. Gets slightly better mileage, but I don't think it is worth the price difference... of course when gas comes down cheap, I get it for it.... If I feel inclined.

PS - don't tell me that the premium does nothing for an engine that doesn't require it, I have heard all that, and don't believe it... If I can feel slight improvements, even if they are in my mind, tis better.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have seen bad fuel pressure regulators that even dump fuel through the vacuum hose.

I have seen the flaps get stuck in the air flow box.

throttle switches or throttle linkage either bad or sticking.

I believe you said it was pinging, maybe your knock sensor is malfunctioning. How did you check the ignition timing and advance?

brakes dragging, or wheel bearings bad?

did you check all of the wiring and components from the ECU plug?

just some thoughts! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

FWIW, my GTI very rarely pings even when hot. Right now I have a mild heating issue becuase the fans aren't coming on when they should, so my temperature in stop-go traffic gets up there pretty high. However even when high temperature and I shift kinda early (under 2000) rpm, mine rarely pings at all even on 87. I also noticed that when I switched to Bosch Platinum

2-electrode plugs that it made a noticeable difference in mileage. Might want to try those. Not the 4-electrode though...I've run those before and didn't notice any big differences...but for some reason the 2-electrode ones do very well.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.

Interesting... I've wondered about this and will check..

I think these are all ok. The flaps move smoothly. But maybe the air flow sensor? I don't know enough about how it works to make an informed guess, but the resistance works per bentley.

malfunctioning.

This also is a good thought. I noticed that the engine started pinging far more down here than in Colorado, where I bought the car, and wondered if the knock sensor might be the culprit.

Don't think it's the bearings, but maybe the brakes are funky. I'll have to think about how to check this.

No, but I'll put it on the long-term to do list.

Thanks for the ideas - Chris

Reply to
starburst