Exhaust related

I have noticed some black ash (like carbon powder) at the end of the tail pipe of my 1996 civic (212K km). I was able to clean the black formation using a tissue paper. The muffler is relatively new and the
vehicle is very well maintained (I bought it used). Oil changed in Jan and May.
I drive the car to go to school which is about 6km from my home. A friend told me that running the car for such a short distance on a regular basis would develop problem with exhaust system and will be difficult to pass the emission test (due Jan 2007).
Any suggestions on what should I do to take care of this problem? I have decided to run the car on highways for about 15 minutes every week. Will that be a good thing to do? Thanks in advance.
Other relevant information: The smoke is colorless and I used fuel injector cleaner a month ago.
ExtremeValue wrote:

it's not a "problem" - it's the result of normal operation. forget about it and just drive normally.
Thank you.