Head Gasket and pistons

Hi,

I own a 1990 Honda Shuttle, with a genuine 77,000 miles on the clock. It recently passed it's MOT. But blue smoke started to pour out the back. I have been told by the RAC, that the head gasket and pistons have gone. Will it cost to much to repair, or should I scrap it?

Regards Maverick7777

Reply to
maverick7777

--------------------

At 77,000 miles, you're only 1/5th into it's life span. Have you inspected the PCV first? It can suck oil vapor like crazy if it sticks open. Not displaying a 'Check Engine' light? Has somebody overfilled the oil, or maybe you've got gasoline in your oil? (leaky injector) You need to look into MANY diagnostic questions before asking about 'scrapping'. MOT is Ministry of transport, right? What's RAC? You have to interpret for the 90% non-Britts.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Hi Curly,

Thanks for your reply. What is PCV? Your right about the MOT. RAC = Royal Autombile Association, they are a breakdown recovery company.

Reply to
maverick7777

Hi Curly,

Thanks for your reply. What is PCV? Your right about the MOT. RAC = Royal Autombile Association, they are a breakdown recovery company.

Reply to
maverick7777

--------------------

Positive Crankcase Ventilation. . . It's a fairly cheap valve that allows just the right amount of air to be siphoned from the crankcase. If it rusts / gums up / sticks open, it can mess up your idle, wreck your mileage, fail your Environmental tests, and suck the oil out of your engine.

Have you ever had a very hard time starting after the car sat overnight, or the week-end? You should perform the 'Lamp Check' to be sure your dash lights are working too. It's in the Owner's manual.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

PCV=PositiveCrankcaseVentilation

Reply to
Arnold

head gaskets almost /never/ cause blue smoke. rings/seals more likely. if you've just changed the plugs and have oil on the plug tubes, you can get a puff of blue smoke from drip-down.

find someone that knows what they're doing and get a proper diagnosis before assessing your repair economics.

Reply to
jim beam