Pros and cons of using Kalimex K-Seal to fix leaking head gasket?

Does anyone have any experience of using K-Seal to try to repair a leaking head gasket on a 3,9 litre V8? Any and all views on the pros and cons of using it would be welcome! Thanks. Simon

Reply to
Simon Oates

I think you first need to find out just why it's leaking. If it has overheated (why?) and the head is warped, damage is done and needs fixing. No amount of sealant is going to repair that.

Dave B.

Reply to
G8KBV

I agree. But first I need to get it from where the gasket failed to where I can get it repaired. So, if K-Seal will make it driveable, that would be useful. But I don't want to risk using it if it is going to cause more problems than it solves.

Reply to
Simon Oates

Simon

Try Kalimex Seal-Up.

The head gasket on my 1990 RRC 3.9 V8 failed to the extent of blowing the end off the heater matrix September before last. Very impressive as the interior filled instantly with coolant steam. Having short circuited the blown matrix I then drove from Grantham to York (with 1t of shelving and other stuff in the trailer) before the by-pass hose failed - it was one of the original head to matrix hoses. I then bought some hydraulic hose with an enormous pressure rating and used that to bypass the heater. I then drove from York to Sevenoaks. The trip was made amusing by the rain, no demisting, the foot-wells of the RR being soaked in antifreeze and the frequent stops to refill the rad with water. When I got home the bloke wot spanners the RR recommended Kalimex Seal-Up

a first step before ploughing loads of money into a worthlessheap.

Since doing so the coolant loss has stopped until very recently. That's nearly two years. Even now it's only dropping very slowly - enough for me to just top up when I remember.

In conclusion, it worked for me. Be very careful to flush every trace of antifreeze from the system if you try Seal-Up. The threaded part of the compression fitting end on flexible tap connectors for kitchen sinks fits the rad and filler point on the top rail. You'll have to cut it to bits to get the relevant part out but it certainly made flushing much easier (link below) B+Q part number 5050027255605. I fitted one of these to my garden hose and used that to flush the system for a long time before adding the Seal-Up. You've nothing to lose as you can add the K-Seal after you have re-filled the system or go on the head-off journey of wallet emptying.

an example. There are ones with flexible plastic pipe which aremuch cheaper.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage