Honda Catalytic Converter Aftermarket Parts

Curious if anyone has tried any aftermarket Catalytic Converter parts? Been studyin it abit online as our 1999 Honda CRV has a p0420 code... Factory Honda part is atleast a whopping $550 minimum. Curious if anyone has had any luck with the off brands such as.. Bosal Catco D.E.C Eastern AutoZone is the only place I could find a aftermarket converter (other than online) for the vehicle and it was $357.99 for a Bosal which the same Cat model # can be obtained online for $200 less! I would prefer a direct fit and am tempted to try the Eastern brand as it seems to be the most direct replacement as far as dimensions and fit. Anyone had any experiences with any of these brands, and if so, did it help the p0420 code, and how many miles have you accumulated since installation? Any help appreciated.

Reply to
M78Ultra

"M78Ultra" wrote in news:470d5a32$0$19599$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Might not even be the cat, but instead poor connections inside the igniter in the distributor.

Believe it or not.

Visit your local Honda dealer and ask them to look up TSB 05-027.

Reply to
Tegger

From what I gather this was specific to Civics?.. Would CR-V's fall in the same category? Igniter Terminals are located specifically where and/or what would the replacement part be? (i.e. Distributer Cap or some internal parts of the distributer?)

BTW: This car will never see a Honda Dealer/Dealership for repairs... way too expensive. I have a couple of sources/repairmen that are Honda factory trained,and that can get Honda OEM parts at a discount. Even then, I don't mind using quality aftermarket parts. Hence, the post on the aftermarket Catalyst Converters.

Thanks for the possibility reply. Interesting info.

-----------------------

05-027

June 10, 2005

Applies to:

1996-00 Civic DX, LX, EX

MIL is on with DTC P0420 or Engine Ping Under Load

SYMPTOM

MIL is on with DTC P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold) or the engine pings under load. DTC P0301 (No. 1 cylinder misfire detected), P0302 (No. 2 cylinder misfire detected), P0303 (no. 3 cylinder misfire detected), or P0304 (No. 4 cylinder misfire detected), may also be set

PROBABLE CAUSE

Poor connections at the igniter terminals.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Crimp the wires from the distributor subassembly, and install a new catalytic converter if P0420 is stored in the PCM/ECM

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In Warranty: The normal warranty applies

Failed part: P/N 30130-P06-006 H/C 4317988

Defect Code 06401

Symptom Code: 03205

Skill Level: Repair technician

Out of Warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

------------------------

Reply to
M78Ultra

"M78Ultra" wrote in news:470d8aed$0$32512$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Apparently not.I can't find a TSB for the sma eissue on CR-V's. CR-V distributors may have been from a different supplier.

On the wires that connect to the spade connector at the igniter inside the distributor.

Even if the fix is free? You'd be a fool not to see if you can get the fix for free. See the last part of your quote of the text of that TSB (below).

Reply to
Tegger

[...]

SEARCH this group. It was discussed just a day or two ago.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_