Re:The Catalytic Converter Failure for the Honda Accord EX 1999

Dear Fellow members,

I recently bought a second hand Honda Accord Ex 1999. Recently the Check engine light came on. I took it to the Honda dealer and he told me that diagnostics check show that

- Error Code 430 Catalytic converter has failed. ( Ie its performance below the thershold level).

The dealer is asking me around 1050/- dollars for replacing the catalytic converter.

I did a search at the car-stuff, And i am seeing the Following Quotes.

1) I am seeing the Following Quotes

a) Eastern Catalytic from 89/- to 168/- dollars

b) DEC from 177 to 282/- dollars

c) Bosal 233/-

I have following questions

1) Which one of these Catalytic Convertor will work for the Honda Accord EX 1999, 4D 2.3 L

2) Which of these Brands is the best .

3) Why dealer is Quoting me so much( I understand that replacing catalytic converter is half an Hour labour)

Please advice me. If some one has any other suggestions better solutions for this problem please share.

Attached is the link for the Catalytic converters

virtual2real

Mileage on this car is 112000.

Could this Code be Due to the Oxygen Sensor Failure.

Does these Brands of Catalytic convertors will be able to pass the MA(Mass) Emission test.

Reply to
virtual2real

Last year I had the same problem with my '99 Accord EX. I ended up buying a cat online from summitracing.com. The part# was CTO-4145 and it came the two gaskets and only had the one O2 sensor hole (some have 2 and you have to plug one). I also bought an O2 sensor socket for about 10 bucks at Autozone. It took about 40 minutes to replace. I ended up cutting off the original bolts/nuts since they were rusted. Good luck. George

Reply to
LaForte

George, Is this working fine now? How much u paid for this part CTO-4145? Does it meet the Inspection requirements for the emission. I am not very good at repairing these, so do you have any idea, how much it will cost if I will bring it to a mechanic.

Reply to
virtual2real

-----------------------------

I was going to ask whether you looked into that. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. Don't buy BOSCH.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

It cost me $144.39 + $8.95 handling - free shipping back on 12/09/2004. It is now about $181.99. Yes it met emissions. That was the reason I replaces it as I had my emissions test in January. The only price I got was from Honda which was over $900 installed. You can check with some local muffler shops or garages to see what they would charge you if you bought the cat online or what the installed cost would be if you bought from them. Good luck

Reply to
LaForte

Hi i took my Honda for inspection and the mechanic told me following errors regarding the Catalytic convertor

--Catalytic Converters

-- Oxygen sensors

--EGR system

Can some one tell me how much fixing these will cost.? Any good Honda mechanics in the Boston area

Reply to
virtual2real