how can I tell if 1.5L spark is weak?

I did a head gasket on a 1994 Civic 1.5L now it won't start. it cranks, battery has good charge. TDC was set correctly. inline spark tester has a slow, dim orange glow at night when I test each cylinder. New spark plugs are wet, gas odor, black soot on them. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Reply to
Rocky

"Rocky" wrote in news:w8Hwe.7495$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga:

Ah, we've got another sneaky stealth cross-poster. Bad netiquette, young fella. This same message was posted individually to at least two groups.

Floor the gas pedal and leave it there. Crank until it starts.

That procedure shuts off the injectors to clear a flooded condition, which it appears you've got.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I already had tried that - how long should I let it crank? The 1994 car has

176k miles on it.

I've already had to charge the battery once - the car was sitting for a few weeks before I had time to put the head back on the motor. It started and ran fine before I pulled the head off.

The head I put on was from a 1995 with 80k miles on it. The shop said it passed the tank and pressure test and they planed the bottom.

Reply to
Rocky

"Rocky" wrote in news:nUHwe.7502$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga:

Learn to cross-post properly. Go check your other message in rec.autos.makers.honda.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I'd check the coil. It could be that it is arcing through the insulation, causing a weak spark. Inspect it for discoloration, cracks or roughness on the insulation. Remco

Reply to
remco

----------------------

Have you double-checked the cam timing? It's definately flooded too. It must have ran a BIT, since there's soot on new plugs.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

I replaced the distributor, cap, rotor and wires - the car ran for 5 seconds and died. I re-checked TDC & the cam position and found it was one tooth off. Once I made that adj, it started instantly. Now the alternator is seized, but that is easy to replace. thansk for everyones ideas.

Reply to
Rocky

"Rocky" wrote in news:akfxe.4756$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

It may be time for a NEW timing belt,especially if it had not been changed before.

It could save you a lot of money.

Reply to
Jim Yanik