idle adjustment?

i drive a 94 accord lx. i was wondering if theres a way to change the idle slightly without messin around with the ECU. the idle is just running slightly slow since i have put on a new distirbutor. is there an adjusting screw or anything like that? i used to have a ford probe that just had a screw that could be adjusted.. thanks in advance

Reply to
ballinjefe22

not unless you reprogram the ecu. if idle is too low since the new distributor, then the distributor's the problem - it's /not/ the idle adjustment! you know you have to use a jumper to set the ignition timing don't you? otherwise your base timing will be too retarded and idle potentially too low.

Reply to
jim beam

What exactly is the idle speed? If it's like my '93, normal low idle speed should be about 750-800rpm.

BTW, is the new distributor OEM or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket, then that could be the problem.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

When setting the timing, make sure the car is properly warmed up, too. Follow the directions at the online manual for your 94 Accord at

.

OEM distributor cap is by far preferred, too. Anything in the ignition system should use OEM. The few extra bucks are worth it.

Reply to
Elle

i dont even know what you mean by 'using a jumper'. how would i do that? and yeah, its an OEM distributor, so i kinda doubt that would be the problem.

Reply to
ballinjefe22

not sure of the location on the accord, but on the civic, there's a lead with a yellow cap in the passenger well that needs to be shorted out. an old paper clip stuck into the sockets works fine. it disables the ecu's electronic advance mechanism so the base timing can be set.

Reply to
jim beam

My son and I are new converts to that, Elle. A week or two ago his car died and had to be towed home. The finding: his aftermarket rotor just plain broke. Although it had a metal sleeve around the shaft, the outer plastic failed. He now has a new OEM rotor and cap (which was also aftermarket).

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote

For the archives, how long did the aftermarket rotor last?

Reply to
Elle

It must have been 9 months. He was replacing the ignition tune-up parts when he zapped his ignition coil (the one TeGGeR has a photo of) and that was last June.

The OEM rotor is made of a dark gray plastic with a textured surface, instead of the shiny black stuff. The OEM is also one piece, rather than plastic over a metal sleeve. That interface is the one that failed; the sleeve stayed on the shaft and the plastic went its own way. I don't know what those plastics are, but I bet the Honda part isn't as brittle as the NAPA part. I was a little taken aback by the price of the OEM rotor ($23 US) but it sure beats a towing bill on top of all the hassle. That was why I also bought the OEM cap ($25 US)... now he has a spare cap to ward off evil spirits, too.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote

Excellent anecdote on OEM vs. non-OEM for the archives.

Reply to
Elle